2000 Pontiac Grand Prix interior fan has quit, water leakin

ALTAPENG
  • 2000 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
Hi ! Bought this car to fix the couple small issues and help out a friend. Being a single woman I would APPRECIATE some guidence before i take it for estimates. Have had some interesting experiences with being told repairs range from 100$ to 2500$ on last older car (for same job... was only the small repair needed)

anyhow...when the aircon is on... the water drips inside the car on the passenger side... under the dash type of thing... prob a leak... is this major surgery?

the main issue tho is that the interior fan is going... the aircon and such work but the blower does not... maybe wiring as the thing might kick in once and a while (bought the car from someone i know who had it the last year)

can live without air con but not defrost once winter comes...so want this fixed... i am just worried about someone telling me i need huge repairs as i really dont know...... what kind of repair needed to get fan going ? the car is the gt...loaded... everything else works except the digital display for time and radio station and now the interior fan

I appreciate any help

thanks

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/554132_new_car_1.jpg

Saturday, July 24th, 2010 AT 8:29 PM

BLACKOP555
Motor could be going out due to the moisture in the case. Its probably a plugged evaporator case drain. They can possibly get it clean without tearing the duct work apart. If they cant they have to take most of the dash and ductwork apart which is a decent amount of work. If you want to cheap on it you can drill a hole. Drain it and then seal the hole. Put in a new blower motor and just dont use the ac and defrost will work good. Ac is only time you get moisture in the vents
Sunday, July 25th, 2010 AT 5:28 PM
ALTAPENG
Was thinking it can't be good having all that moisture under there and that is when she started having probs with the car.

Is it pretty straightforward where the hole should be drilled? Back to google I think ;)

yah, i'm blonde lol

thank you for your advice, much appreciated

Peng
Sunday, July 25th, 2010 AT 5:49 PM
BLACKOP555
You can drill it anywhere in the lower part of the evap casing where the water is sitting. If thats the route you want to go.
Sunday, July 25th, 2010 AT 6:42 PM
ALTAPENG
How I would love to take a drill to it lol

but will take it for estimates first. Like I posted before. You would laugh at some of the thing I have been told before.

Only prob is me with a drill.I might perforate a few too many things which are not evap casings ;) although I am quite handy

if you trace back the very few probs with this car. They all started with the moisture

thanks again for your post !

If they did have to pull the dash apart. How huge of a job is it hour wise?

Have a great monday :)
Sunday, July 25th, 2010 AT 7:59 PM
BLACKOP555
Depend on the mechanic. May take from 3-6 hours dependent on mechanic speed.

If you want just post back on here what they tell you then I can chime back in and let you know if its legit

have a great monday too
Monday, July 26th, 2010 AT 4:24 PM
ALTAPENG
I sure appreciate the help !

Will hopefully get some estimates soon.

Have a great week !
Monday, July 26th, 2010 AT 8:02 PM