REMOVING THE FRONT HUB

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix

kaiser0427

February, 21, 2009 AT 4:47 PM

Suspension problem
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 116184 miles

I have to replace my right front spindle and I'm having trouble getting the hub. I have taken the axle nut off and the brake caliper and the 3 bolts behind the hub. I'm thinking these are the hub mount bolts. They bolt into the spindle/knuckle. I only found 3 but the manual says there are 4. Am I over looking a bolt? The 3 I found, 1 was located top center, 1 bottom right and one middle left. I'm being careful not to damage anything. That's why I'm asking. If there are only 3 bolts, what is an alternative way to remove the hub without using a puller? Thanks for the help.

mmprince4000

February, 22, 2009 AT 8:23 AM

The hub is probably rusted in the knuckle, try some PB Blaster and a rubber mallet (from behind) or use a pry bar from front and pry out evenly, and make sure there is not a retaing ring holding the hub in place.

I see only 3 bolts, ABS or not:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/108325_hub_GP_1.jpg

It is not uncommon for manufacturers to switch hub designs (4 bolt to 3), and the repair manual was not updated.

kaiser0427

February, 23, 2009 AT 1:49 PM

I went and rented a hub puller and have screwed it in all the way and the hub will not come off. I have also used a half can of PB Blast and it's not coming lose from the knuckle/spindle.

Any suggestions on how to remove it? Your help is greatly appreciated.

mmprince4000

February, 24, 2009 AT 10:01 AM

If you look at the picture of the hub, the blue "ring" looks to me like a retaining ring and would have to be removed. It would be on the inside of the knuckle.

Don't see a retaining ring, but it should not be that hard to get out.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/108325_GP_hub_1.jpg

Pry the bearing seal out and look for any retaining rings.

kaiser0427

February, 24, 2009 AT 11:44 AM

Thank you so much for your help. I'm having to do all this work myself because I can't afford to pay a mechanic $1400. This is my first time doing anything like this to a car. I'm now ready to start putting my car back together. I'm replacing the 2 lower ball joints, the rt. Front spindle/knuckle and the sway bar. Great web site and help I will donate when my business picks up or I get a job. Thanks again. Your help has been invaluable.

Wheel Bearing Hub Replacement
CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
CV Axle Replacement
CV Axle Replacement
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions