CAR WON'T START

1998 Pontiac Grand Prix

carmenmonique

December, 28, 2008 AT 5:04 PM

Engine Cooling problem
1998 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 113000 miles

I had an oil change 3 days ago. All of my fluids were topped off including the Coolant. Today, my coolant light came on. I drove it for another 45 minutes, then the engine starting making a noise, and smoke started coming out. I pulled up into a gas station and put some anit-freeze in it. I left my car there, because I didn't trust driving it home. I came back later and the car wouldn't start up. Not sure what's going on. The technician at the oil change place said I didn't have any leaks, and that I had another 100,000 miles on it. Does this sounds like the engine went out?

Jack42

December, 28, 2008 AT 5:35 PM

Does the engine turn over and not start or does it not turn at all? If steam came out, fluid must have left somewhere or it boiled out of the recovery tank.

carmenmonique

December, 29, 2008 AT 12:24 PM

Per your question, the engine won't turn. The radiator is empty, and the recovery tank is empty. There's a humming in the starter, it sounds like eeeek in a high pitch sound. White smoke that comes out the exhaust.

Jack42

December, 29, 2008 AT 12:36 PM

Engine could be hydro-statically locked. Meaning there is water in the cylinders keeping it from turning. You will need to remove the spark lpugs and see if it will turn over, and if it does, watch out for water shooting out of the plug holes

carmenmonique

December, 30, 2008 AT 10:38 AM

Okay, we're going out to the car today, to remove the spark plugs and see what happens. Just wanted to know how does water get into the engine. What is the source of that particular problem. One last thing, I'm investigating what repair shop to take it to. What are some of the things I need to look for to determine if the mechanic and repair place is good place to leave my car?

Jack42

December, 30, 2008 AT 2:45 PM

Look for ASE certifications and a little word of mouth doesnt hurt either, see if you can find anyone who has used them to see what their rep is like. The water may be getting in through a blown head gasket or cracked cylinder head

carmenmonique

December, 30, 2008 AT 10:06 PM

Thank you so much.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement