1997 Pontiac Grand Prix Fuel Pump Problem

DRCARTMAN99
  • 1997 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
I have replaced the fuel pump several times and I continue to have the same problem. Turn the key on and the pump does not prime. Sometimes it will and others it wont. If you tap on it with a rubber mallet then turn the key, you can hear it prime and the car will start. First replacement was an off brand and the new one in it now is a Carter. My mechanic checked it last time he replaced the pump and said when key is turned the pump gets power, it just stops working for no reason. Could there be another issue with the car causing this to happen? I have another brand new Carter fuel pump to install but dont want to waste time and money if this will not fix the problem.
Saturday, September 25th, 2010 AT 3:23 PM

DOCFIXIT
HI
Gm has problem with pump ground check ground wire resistence if any add a ground wire to body.
Hope this helps
Thanks for donate
Saturday, September 25th, 2010 AT 3:38 PM
DRCARTMAN99
I clipped the factory ground wire and ran a new ground wire to the body near the access panel for the fuel pump. So far so good, car fired right up. I will keep an eye on it, hopefully that fixed it. Thanks. Will update if not.
Saturday, September 25th, 2010 AT 4:19 PM
DOCFIXIT
Good keep me posted if it screws up again will give it a rethink and come up with procedure
Sunday, September 26th, 2010 AT 2:29 PM

Sponsored links