1996 Pontiac Grand Prix 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix SE

LILANGEL23
  • 1996 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
1996 Pontiac Grand Prix 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I have a 1996 Pontiac Grand Prix SE and every once in awhile when I am driving the RPMs would be around 2000 then drops suddenly like my engine is not getting any fuel. The car acts like I am tryin to drive a manual stick shift for the first time when it does it but never stalls and the service engine light does not kick on. The fuel pump and fuel filter are new was just replaced not to long ago.

When the FRP was checked there was no fuel present.

Also the fuel pump makes a loud whinning noise which according to the auto parts store some fuel pumps do that. Is that true?

Would the MAP Sensor be causing this problem or would it be the fuel pump relay thats causing this?
Monday, February 23rd, 2009 AT 6:46 AM

MMPRINCE4000
Check fuel pressure with a mechanical gauge, should be above 40psi, and when you "blip" the throttle it should go up 5psi or so.

Some pumps are noisier than than others, but you should not be hearing "a loud whining noise".

A bad relay would normally shut fuel off and engine would stop.

A MAP sensor would set an error code and engine would barely run (fuel mixture would be very rich).
Monday, February 23rd, 2009 AT 7:43 AM