1994 Pontiac Grand Prix 1994 Pontiac Grand Prix shut off wh

NPARHAM8
  • 1994 PONTIAC GRAND PRIX
  • AWD
Hello. I am posting today because my 1994 pontiac grand prix is acting wierd. Well, to keep it pretty cut and dry: the car tends to cut off while driving AND while idling. I can start the car ok, drive up the block, maybe about 10-15 blocks on average, before it starts acting all goofy on me. I had the car looked at by two different Unofficial mechanics and they both(unknowning of one another) said the same thing: the engine was being choked out. They replaced the vaccum line and pcv value(i think), I think it was, its the hose that goes over the engine and also has a "plug" that goes into the engine to keep from alot of air getting into the engine. That unfortuneatley did not help. The second guy used a silicone gasket maker around the "plug" of that line that was replace, but that did not help. If more info is needed, please ask. I also can take photos if needed.
ps. I also dont have trouble starting the car. I only have problems starting the car AFTER it has already cut off on me, which made me to believe it was not the starter. I had the battery tested as well and accoring to advance auto parts, the battery is fairly good. It has 650 cca /711 cca or something like that. Im not too hip to the car lingo. I was also told the alternator was fine and had my oil changed recently. Also, the low coolant light tends to be on but the antifreeze is filled. Actually, it is filled above the hot fill, but I was having my problems prior. The service engine light tends to come on too, but not as often as the low coolant.
Thursday, August 5th, 2010 AT 12:31 PM

JACK42
The service engine light may be the key to finding out what is wrong with the car, that is the computers way of telling you it sees a failure in the system, which can cause stalling or a no-start condition. When it dies adn wont start, you need to check for fuel pressure adn spark. At the mileage you are at it could be a number of things, so we need to see what is missing that is keeping it from starting
Thursday, August 5th, 2010 AT 9:01 PM
NPARHAM8
Ahh. I hear what your saying. I also noticed something today that I may not have specified and I thought was kinda wierd: the low coolant light. The reason I say its wierd because it looks pretty fulll. Its at the "hot fill" line with the correct fluid, but, the car seems to shut off after about 10-15 minutes of driving as if it were overheating. And once it cuts off, the car does NOT even turnover/make a noise when trying to start it, I mean silent, as if there was not even a starter installed, silent. Just thought I had as much info as possible.

PS - the car neveeerrrrrrrr NEVER has a problem starting until AFTER it has shut off. After that, I have a problem starting it, but if I let it sit for 15-60 minutes, im ok and will enter the "on again, off again" loop again.
Thursday, August 5th, 2010 AT 9:43 PM
JACK42
Do you have other electrical in the car when it has shut down? ( Dash, radio, headlights?)
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 8:08 AM
NPARHAM8
Yes. When it cuts off, I still have access to all those things, as if the battery was on before I turn the key any further to start the car.
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 11:24 AM
JACK42
When it is hot and wont crank over, you need to test for power at the small wire on the starter using a test light. Also test for power at the injectors with a test light with the key on when it wont do anything. We need to see what has power if it wont crank after it dies but th edash works
Friday, August 6th, 2010 AT 6:46 PM