2001 Pontiac Grand Am Keep losing coolant

MICHELLEWHITCOMB
  • 2001 PONTIAC GRAND AM
I am wondering what would cause me to lose so much coolant, I am told its the head gasket, What else might it be and what might I be looking at cost wise?
Monday, November 24th, 2008 AT 6:14 PM

MHPAUTOS
Hi there,

If the coolant loss is external, you will have to have a pressure test to determine where the leak or leaks are, it may be a hose, water pump, core plug or the head, as for costs you will have to know what the exact problem is before attempting to price the job.

Monday, November 24th, 2008 AT 7:02 PM
AUTOTECH04
These cars are known for bad lower intaike manifold gaskets & head gaskets ! If it is a head gasket. Usualy the rear (right side) u might as well get the 2 done! With my experience with these engine is if 1 is done the other 1 will go & u will need to do the same job again.
It if more expensive @ first but in the long run u wont have to worry about it !
Monday, November 24th, 2008 AT 8:02 PM
MICHELLEWHITCOMB
Thank you :) You were right I took it in this morning and it is the lower intake 900.00 later. Ugh.

Thanks again
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 1:09 PM
AUTOTECH04
No prob !
Just keep an eye on ur coolant level ! Those engines are known for the rear head gaskets going bad ! If u suspect it's leaking all u would need to do is lift the right side of the car & remove the wheel or turn it to thr right. U would get a better look with the tire off. Then look @ the end of the cylinder head where the timing cove is & if u see a trail of pink or orange fluid going down the side of the engine block u have a leaking cylinder head !
Tuesday, November 25th, 2008 AT 6:40 PM