1988 Pontiac Firebird Engine Swap troubleshooting

DEGOAL1337
  • 1988 PONTIAC FIREBIRD
1988 Pontiac Firebird V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic

The car is a 305 tuned port. The original motor blew so I dropped another 305 into it. The car starts right up and runs, but it seems to be running rather rich and, up until I rigged the fans to a switch, the fans didnt kick on and it would start to over heat. The fuel and temp gauges worked before and now do not. Not sure where to start and don't have an engine diagnostic machine available to make it easier.
Sunday, June 7th, 2009 AT 3:46 PM

RACEFAN966
Ok so did you get a new engine or a used engine out of another car? If it was out of another car did you swap sensors or just use what was on the engine you put in? If you just droped in an engine from a wrecking yard or another car then I would pull the coolant temp sensor off the engine that came out of the car and put it on the replacement engine. This is what turns on the fans. It is on or near the thermostat housing. Let me know what you can and how it goes.
Wednesday, June 10th, 2009 AT 9:40 AM
DEGOAL1337
It is a used 305 truck block with around 40000 on it. All the original equipment in regards to sensors and fuel injectors and such were transferred to the replacement engine. It also seems to be running rich all the time.
Friday, June 12th, 2009 AT 3:38 PM
RACEFAN966
Well you picked a truck engine and the truck engine was throttle body injection and the car is a 305 HO with tuned port injection the cams and compression are not the same. The cams are different and the heads are different. The TBI truck engine is cammed.234 and.257 with 1.84 and 1.50 valves and the 9.3:1 compression. The TPI car engine is cammed.269 and.276 with 1.94 and 1.60 valve and 9.5:1 compression. The Hp is different and torque. It will run rich and not have the power and such. As for the sensors you do have everything hooked up and pluged in? Double check everything and let me know what you find, do you have digital multi meter? We will need to test some sensors and maybe some wiring.
Saturday, June 13th, 2009 AT 8:55 AM
DEGOAL1337
No I do not but I am purchasing one in the very very near future. Is there anything I can do until I get that?
Tuesday, June 30th, 2009 AT 6:41 PM