92 SSE ENGINE DIES WHILE DRIVING

1992 Pontiac Bonneville

texashatlady

March, 11, 2006 AT 12:56 PM

[u: b0d782cf2a]1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSE, 135,000 miles[/u: b0d782cf2a]. The engine dies while driving. Will start again after waiting about 10 minutes. This usually happens after I have driven some distance and the engine is warm. The ignition module tested good. The fuel pump and alternator have recently been replaced. It was at an auto electric shop for diagnosis for a week and they could not identify the problem. My mechanic can't figure it out. Help! Also, something is draining the battery if the car isn't driven every day. I did some reading on the TCC Solenoid and those symptoms do not match the ones I am experiencing. I'm told we can't get the codes unless the car acts up and that it takes an older generation of testing equipment (obd1).

Cj Stalling When Idling

Stalling Out

rugruv

March, 11, 2006 AT 3:11 PM

Can you pull the codes from the computer?

Rose

March, 22, 2006 AT 5:46 PM

Hi, I have a 92 Cavalier with the same problem. Everyone is stumped. Please let me know if you find a solution and I'll do the same.
Thanks,
Rose

mvannessjr

March, 22, 2006 AT 9:17 PM

Do some testing. If the car only dies after breaking 40-45MPH it is a faulty TCC Solenoid. Simple way to test this is to find an open area, get her to 45MPH and slow down.

Rose

March, 27, 2006 AT 6:24 PM

My solution was that the CRANK SENSOR needed to be replaced. They wear out after time. My car now runs like a charm!