WHAT CAUSES THE MOTOR TO RUN FINE FOR 10 OR 20 MINS THEN DIE?

• deadman606
  • 1992 Pontiac Bonneville

It starts ok, idles ok, then drive it for 10 mins it will start missing out then die.

Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 3:00 AM

• Jacobandnickolas

It could be an ignition or fuel problem. Does the car start righ back up? If not, when it doesn't start, check to see if there is spark and fuel to the engine. Also, check fuel pump pressure.

Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 3:05 AM
  • deadman606

It doesnt start back up untill it's completely cooled down, I changed the spark plugs and the old one which are only a few months old had really bad carbon deposites, before I did it wouldnt start at all, Im thinking its bad gas bu Im not for sure, could it be he ignition coil packs? Or does it sound like bad gas?

Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 5:46 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

It sounds like either a bad crank sensor or fuel pump. When it doesn't start, check for spark and fuel to the engine. One will be missing. Then we will know what circuit to focus on.

Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 5:55 AM
  • deadman606

Ok that narrows it down, I did two different diagnostics and no code came up at all, whats the best way to check for spark or fuel? If a code doesnt come up does that mean the crank sensor is fine?

Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 6:17 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

No, it could still be bad. Go to our homepage under the DIY section for detailed instruction for checking both. There is also a video for checking fuel pump pressure.

Let me know what you find.

Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 6:25 AM
  • deadman606

Ok, thank you so much for your advice, it does sound like a crank sensor to me but before I assume that I will check the fuel pressure and check for spark, and yes I will definitely let you know what I find out, again thank you

Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 6:38 AM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Sounds good. Make sure you check for both when it won't start.

Look forward to hearing from you. Also, if you need a fuel pressure gauge, most parts stores will lend or rent them.

Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 6:47 AM
  • deadman606

Ok, I did a spark and fuel test, and I found spark to the plugs but theres no fuel coming from the test valve on the motor, not even a little, so does that sound like a fuel pump?

Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 9:29 PM
  • Jacobandnickolas

Either a bad pump or a plugged fuel filter. Disconnect the filter and connect gauge there to see if there is pressure. If none before the filter, then the pump is most likely bad.

Monday, December 5th, 2011 AT 11:22 PM
  • deadman606

Awesome, thank you, I shall do that and see how it turns out.

Tuesday, December 6th, 2011 AT 2:24 AM