2002 Pontiac Bonneville engine-no crank

TIM FITZGERALD
  • 2002 PONTIAC BONNEVILLE
I've been a heavy truck/diesel equipment mechanic for 40+ years so I don't claim to be a car mechanic but I've had my share of car experince, mostly GM.
So here's my problem. I have a no crank problem---sometimes. I can try to crank and nothing, wait a couple minutes and the engine will crank and start.
I can start it several times in a row, let it set 10 + - minutes and no crank. Again turn on ignition and wait a few minutes and crank and start.
I'm pretty sure it has a security system, security light in dash, but I don't know how that effects the starting system.
Now here's the run down on what I've trouble shot.
All basics---fuses, relays, (for starter and ignition located in power distribution centers in engine and under seat) battery, starter and neutral safety switch. I have not checked the ignition switch or any other related relays or soleniods pertaining to the starter enable relay control if it has one or where it is located. Another possible could be the engine oil level module. My wiring diagram shows a ignition on/off timer in that module.
Well I hope I've hit on something to get you started.
Here's the VIN, maybe it will help, 1G2HX54K824143964. Thanks.
Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 8:44 AM

I'd check for all trouble codes, not just generic. Is the theft lite flashing/ on, when you try to start? Check for voltage at the start relay, underhood fuse box. Voltage to the load side of relay is hot all the time, voltage to the coil side is hot with key in the crank position. The pcm grounds the relay in order to energize.
Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 9:54 AM
TIM FITZGERALD
I don't have the car with me. What if serurity light is on or off when I go to start?
+2
Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 10:44 AM
I'd check the codes or have them checked. If I have a code, I can find the flow chart. Without a code, I'd have to hunt and peck, if the problem is the theft system.
Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 11:54 AM
TIM FITZGERALD
My scan tool showed only two codes, P0102 MAF sensor, which I've known about for a couple weeks now. Also P0442 EVAP small leak detected.
+1
Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 1:46 PM
Neither one of those codes would keep the starter from cranking.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/170934_pontiac_bonneville_jumper_1.jpg

If you use a jumper on the terminals for the load side of relay, like the picture, the starter should crank. That doesn't mean it will start. Make sure the tranny is in park or neutral and the e-brake set.

Have somebody check the voltage circuits at the relay. I just wanted to add, if the theft system was causing a problem, the code would probably be a body code.
-1
Monday, August 31st, 2009 AT 3:19 PM
TIM FITZGERALD
Ok I have power and it will crank at the relay when jumped so I R&R the relay and no differrance.

Look fellas the engine will crank and run. After I turn the key to ignition I have to wait approx. 2-3 minutes to crank and like clock work the engine cranks over and runs. Now if I wait approx. 10 minutes or more the engine will not crank and run. I have to again wait 2-3 minutes for the engine to crank and start, it will do this time and time again.

Now I may assume that the problem is in the serurity system, if so my scan tool can not do body codes.
So I guess I need one that can do body codes or find someone that has one to do this scan.
Tuesday, September 1st, 2009 AT 7:40 AM
You need voltage on the fuse side of relay, also. Yes, you may need to check manufacturers codes.
Tuesday, September 1st, 2009 AT 10:12 AM
TIM FITZGERALD
Ok I think we have exhausted the power to relay start and fuse start diagnosis.

Now why the 2-3 min. Time interval to crank when I turn the key on to ignition? This is, I think, a clue to the problem.
+1
Tuesday, September 1st, 2009 AT 12:43 PM
If everything else checks out, if it isn't the theft system, I'm out of ideas.
Tuesday, September 1st, 2009 AT 2:21 PM
2002 BONNEVILLE
BACK ON 8/31/09 WE TRIED TO SOLVE A THEFT DETERRANT PROBLEM ON A 2002 BONNEVILLE. ON 9/1/09 IT WAS DETERMINED THAT THE SERURITY SYSTEM COULD BE THE CAUSE SUBJECT TO FURTHER TESTING. WELL I HAD IT TESTED AND IT WAS DETERMINED THAT THE PASSKEY III KEY IGNITION MODULE AND KEY SWITCH WAS THE PROBLEM, SO BOTH WERE REPLACED. NOW SOME 10 DAYS LATER I HAVE THE SAME PROBLEM, WAIT 3-4 MINUTES, SECURITY LIGHT GOES OUT AND I CAN START THE ENGINE. I'M NOT GOING BACK TO A DEALER OR GARAGE FOR HELP BECAUSE THEY GOT THE REPAIR WRONG. ANY MORE FIXES FOR THIS PROBLEM?
-1
Sunday, September 13th, 2009 AT 11:11 AM
TIM FITZGERALD
HEY GUYS SOMEHOW I DID NOT RECIEVE YOUR REPLY. THANKS
Monday, September 14th, 2009 AT 8:05 AM
I'm not sure I'm on the correct post? If your problem is the theft system, I can't diagnose that from here. If you want a refund, talk to mike@2carpros. Com

Have a good day.
Monday, September 14th, 2009 AT 9:08 AM
TIM FITZGERALD
Jdl123, thanks for all your help. Sorry we can't go any further.
Monday, September 14th, 2009 AT 10:56 AM
TIM FITZGERALD
SORRY TO SAY BUT I'M LOOKING FOR A REFUND. IF YOU CHECK MY TOPIC REVIEW YOU WILL SEE WHY. THE TECH COULD NOT HELP ME WITH MY THEFT DETERRANT SYSTEM NO CRANK PROBLEM ON MY 2002 BONNEVILLE.

FROM WHAT I HAVE LEARNED THE IS A TOUGH FIX ON THE PASSKEY III SYSTEM. I THANK YOU FOR ALL YOUR TIME.

TIM FITZGERALD
Monday, September 14th, 2009 AT 11:59 AM
Hi Tim, Mike handles the refunds. I gave you his email link earlier. I'll try to get in touch with him.
Monday, September 14th, 2009 AT 12:31 PM
2CARPROS MIKE
Hey Tim,
We are sorry we could not help you this time. We have refunded your donation.
Wednesday, September 16th, 2009 AT 7:20 PM
LUKE CARNELL
I had this same problem! I ended up having to take it to the dealer (I'm not very mechanical) They found that the ignition switch was bad and an anti theft module was also bad. They replaced both and I haven't had that problem since. Try changing your ignition switch and see if that helps.
Thursday, September 17th, 2009 AT 9:37 AM