1988 Plymouth Reliant pulling rear freeze plugs

  • 1 POST

Engine Cooling problem
1988 Plymouth Reliant 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

the rear freeze plug on the passenger needs to be changed. I would like to know if anyone knows of away of changing it with out pulling the motor.

Do you
have the same problem?
Saturday, December 19th, 2009 AT 5:41 PM

1 Reply

  • 1,332 POSTS

Never had to remove a block to change any freeze out plug. Guess I was just lucky. You must first get the right replacement plug, alot of guys have used the rubber expanding type with no problems but Chrysler wouldn't buy it. You can punch the old plug to turn it sideways, then grab it with a pair of pliers or vise-grips to remove it. You will probably have to get the power steering bracket out of the way, that would be the most difficult part. I took the plastic splash shield off and removed the lower pulley to take the belts off using a large pin punch to re-align the pulley and install the belts. After you clean the block hole with sand paper just use a plug installer tool or even the right size socket or any bushing installer out of a bushing or bearing installer kit to install the new plug.A hammer works fine. Use some black rtv or sealer on the new plug. THE MOST IMPORTANT PART IS SAFETY. Second is keeping the cooling system clean, use some additive when you fill it up. Be sure and pressure test the system before you put everything back together.

Was this
Tuesday, February 16th, 2010 AT 3:49 PM

Please login or register to post a reply.

Recommended Guides