ENGINE LURCHES WHEN COLD

1993 Plymouth

JADES976

February, 25, 2008 AT 10:08 AM

1993 Other Plymouth Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 175000 miles

I have a 1993 Plymouth Laser 1.8L, 4cyl, 5-speed manual transmission. I just replaced the transmission with one from a junkyard. The old transmission had a hole in the case and had lost 5th gear. The car drove well other than the fact that I didn't have 5th gear. Now, the car lurches in first and second gear when it's cold. It also lacks power in first. This only happens when the car is cold. After you drive it for about 5 or 10 miles, the lurching stops and the power is normal. The only things that have changed are the transmission and fluid. I am using the correct type and viscosity for the climate that I am in according to the repair manual. What could be causing this?

mastertechtim

February, 25, 2008 AT 10:17 AM

What type and viscosity are you using?

JADES976

February, 25, 2008 AT 4:01 PM

I think that the brand was Valvoline. I know the viscosity was 80W90.

mastertechtim

February, 25, 2008 AT 4:50 PM

I was looking at viscosity earlier in my computer at work and I think you can run a 75/80 weight. I also looked to see if there was a tech bulletin for your concern and I found none. I worked for gm and used to have a bulletin to change from gear oil to transmission fluid but not in this case.

JADES976

February, 26, 2008 AT 5:56 AM

I was also looking in my book and saw a chart that listed 20w50 oil for the transmission. Could this be the problem? Also, a friend of mine suggested that the distributer cap needs replaced. Could this be the problem? I let the car sit in the driveway this morning to warm up for about 10 min (the temp was about 45 F). I had no problem driving this morning. Thanks for your input.

mastertechtim

February, 26, 2008 AT 7:08 AM

Are you having a problem shifting between gears or is the problem a engine running problem?

JADES976

February, 26, 2008 AT 7:27 AM

I guess it would be more of an engine problem if the oil viscosity is not the problem. The only issue with the transmission is that it grinds between gears sometimes, but I thought that was because the transmission is 14 years old. And it's not a bad grind. Seems like the syncronizers in this transmission are a little old.

mastertechtim

February, 26, 2008 AT 7:32 AM

I would first try switching the oil to the 20 50 to alleviate the grind noise. Then the tune up might have something to do with the hesitation.

Catalytic Converter Replacement Volkswagen
Find Out How to Test Your Catalytic Converter
Fuel Filter Replacement Ford F-250
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Filter Mount Replacement Chevrolet