1996 Plymouth Breeze 1996 Breeze will not keep running!

SONCARITUS
  • 1996 PLYMOUTH BREEZE
My son's Breeze choked down suddenly. He says he can crank it up again, but has to give it gas to keep it running. As I understand, it will not idle.
Monday, December 1st, 2008 AT 5:21 PM

ZACKMAN
Start by cleaning the idle air control motor. If the IAC is good, check for vacuum leak.
Tuesday, December 2nd, 2008 AT 11:17 PM
SONCARITUS
I picked up the car last night. It ran OK at first while loading, but began to choke down after a minute or so. This morning, it fired up and I unloaded the car and pulled it to the driveway and it ran fine. I only had a minute to set with it while I revved it up and down and it returned to idle fine. I am starting with the idle control motor and/or EGR. Then maybe the idle position sensor. The diff in idle with temp change makes me think sensor?

THANKS!
Thursday, December 4th, 2008 AT 7:59 AM
ZACKMAN
Let me know after you test the IAC, EGR valve/solenoid, and the TPS. And just for kicks, also check the coolant temp sensor. Sometimes, if the sensor is bad, PCM won't kick into closed-loop operation.
Thursday, December 4th, 2008 AT 7:33 PM
SONCARITUS
When I took the air cleaner housing off, I noticed the throat and flap in the throttle body were pretty dirty. I cleaned those. I also squirted the cleaner down the tube to the throttle control valve and sprayed the outside of the EGR. This seemed to make a measurable difference. Also, there is a screw that will adjust the idle mechanically. It is in the throttle body and the throttle cable arm rest on it, but I could not get it to turn - I can see threads on it. Anyway, I wrapped a small amount of foil around the base to ease idle up just a hair. I drove his car to Atlanta last night and it did ok. Only certain conditions cause it to stumble (but it reecovers). If setting at idle in gear and I tap the gas to move up, the engine rpms drop very low, but it recovers. Interestingly, I noticed the TEMP gauge never moved and commented that I guess I need to relace the sensor! I'll do that also.

THANKS and I will keep posting.
Friday, December 5th, 2008 AT 5:13 AM