1990 Plymouth Acclaim cuts off

DDAWSON24550
  • 1990 PLYMOUTH ACCLAIM
While driving down the road, without warning, it cuts off. If you are still rolling and in gear and the key remains on, it will come back on sometimes. Most of the time you have to pull over and try for 10+ minutes before it will restart. Turns over fine, just wont start for a while. This happens whether the engine is hot or cold. Also, it seems to go in and out of overdrive alot. I just replaced the governor/solenoid pack. It does better now, but still not exactly right. I don't know if these 2 problems are related. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks guys.
Wednesday, October 15th, 2008 AT 10:18 AM

Hi:
Going in and out of OD is common when you get around 40+MPH. On the other hand, the shut down is not. Have you had the fuel pump pressure checked? Does it seem to die mor often under a load (like going up a long hill)? One final question. Have you had the computer scanned for codes?

Saturday, October 18th, 2008 AT 5:51 PM
DDAWSON24550
HAVENT HAD FUEL PUMP CHECKED, BUT THE TIMING IS NOT SO MUCH UNDER A LOAD. IT CUT OFF ONCE UP A HILL, OTHER TIMES JUST GOING DOWN THE ROAD AT NORMAL SPEEDS AND/OR AT IDLE AT A STOP LIGHT. 4 TIMES IN THE YARD. HAD THE CODES CHECKED; NONE IN THE COMPUTER. I GUESS MY NEXT STEP WILL BE TO HAVE THE FUEL PUMP/PRESSURES CHECKED. THANKS FOR THE ADVISE!
Monday, October 20th, 2008 AT 7:05 AM
Hi:
Let me know what you find. The best time to do it would be when it won't start. Also, make sure you're geting spark to the plugs when it dies.
Monday, October 20th, 2008 AT 4:23 PM
DDAWSON24550
The thing cut off in the yard. End result-no fire coming from coil when it acts up. Told by a few people it could be the ignition module or the ecm. Also had one guy say something about the ignition switch. I'm clueless. Any suggestions?
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 1:25 PM
Hi:
Yes, if you are not getting spark, and the coil is dead, it could be the ignition relay or what you said.

Was there no power to the coil at all?

Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 3:10 PM
DDAWSON24550
NO POWER WHATSOEVER TO THE COIL. AFTER 10-20 MINUTES IT WILL START. WHERE IS THE COIL RELAY LOCATED AND WHAT MIGHT IT LOOK LIKE? I'M NOT FAMILIAR WITH THESE MITSUBISHI ENGINES. I'M CERTAIN THE PROBLEM IS SOMEWHERE IN THE IGNITION SYSTEM, PINPOINTING IT IS QUITE A CHALLENGE. I APPRECIATE ALL THE HELP YOU GUYS ARE GIVING.
Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 3:33 PM
Hi Again:
If you want to see what the ignition looks like, go to this web page:

http://www.2carpros.com/articles/mitchell1eautorepair-car-repair-manuals

At this point, it could be several things. It could be a relay, crank sensor, ignition module... without the proper tools, we're stuck. I don't want you to throw money into things that won't fix the problem.

I hate to say it, but maybe it needs to go to a dealer to be checked.

Let me know what you think.

Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 9:04 PM
Before you send it to a dealer, let me ask some of the other guys about this and see if they have any recommendations.

Monday, October 27th, 2008 AT 9:06 PM
JNOVACK
It sounds like there is a relay or the ecu is not working when hot but here is were the relay box is on your car, Under hood, driver side, front side of strut tower, mounted on fenderwell when it is not starting you should see a ignition relay in that box pull it and with volt ohm meter check for contonuity and see if yuour getting voltage to that relay put on 20 volt and see if your getting 12 volts if not it would be the ecu and when it gets hot it shuts down till cooled off the ecu is located Under hood, driver side, front side of strut tower, mounted on fenderwell and now that I think about it it could also be the ignition control module located Under hood, passenger side, upper engine area, end of intake manifold, mounted in distributor

now try this test

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/52960_0900c1528005dec8_1.jpg

Fig. 1: Ignition coil terminal identification-3.0L Premier and Monaco engine

If voltage is at near-battery voltage, and drops to zero after 1-2 seconds of cranking, refer to for diagnostic trouble codes and further testing.
If voltage remains at near-battery voltage during the entire 5 seconds, turn the key OFF and remove the Single Board Engine Controller (SBEC) 60-way connector. Check the 60-way connector for any loose or pushed out terminals.
Tuesday, October 28th, 2008 AT 8:59 PM
DDAWSON24550
Hi guys!

Sorry it took so long for me to respond, but we were workingon the car as money permitted. We replaced the ignition module, and so far it seems to be the problem. Has not cut off, and we have driven it 1000 miles or more since the repair. Thanks so much for your help guys! Much appreciated! Happy holidays!
Friday, November 28th, 2008 AT 12:35 PM