Not starting clicking from starter relay

RMINNITI
  • 1994 PLYMOUTH ACCLAIM
Hi my name is rich my car wont start. Theres a clicking sound coming from starter relay but. Not the. Actual starter. The starter makes no sounds. So I replaced the battery thinking not enough power. But nothing changed. So then I took a piece of wire and jumped the starter relay and you can hear the starter motor spinning. So could it be the relay and the starter solenoid is bad. Any thoughts would be much appreciated thanks in advance
Thursday, April 9th, 2015 AT 8:08 PM

First let me be sure we're talking about the right parts. The starter relay is in the under-hood fuse box and is rather hard to hear. The starter solenoid is built into the starter and commonly makes a single, rather loud clunk, but the starter wont spin the engine. Where exactly did you jump, and if the starter was spinning, was it cranking the engine?
Thursday, April 9th, 2015 AT 8:34 PM
RMINNITI
Thanks for responding there are multiple relays under hood against fire wall on drivers side next to battery. When turning key. Starter relay will make a click sound each time I move the key to start it. The relays on my car are little black boxes that looks like little electrical plugs but not like a fuse or fuse box I took a piece of wire and connected 2 points of the relay plug and you can hear a spining sound but no crank. The starter made no clunk sounds
Thursday, April 9th, 2015 AT 8:55 PM
Okay. I thought by '94 all the relays were in the fuse box under the hood. If yours are still on the inner fender, the starter relay will have a fat red wire and a fat brown wire to jump, and a double thin yellow wire. I think the fourth thin wire is black, but I can't remember for sure. If you're jumping the wrong relay, you might be hearing the radiator fan.

Grab a test light with the ground clip on the battery negative post, and go to the smaller terminal on the starter solenoid. Have a helper turn the ignition switch to "crank". You should see 12 volts there when the starter relay clicks. If you don't, jump the red and brown wires in that relay socket. If that makes the starter engage, that relay has a rusted contact. If the relay isn't clicking, jump those two wires again and the starter should engage. The relay contact still could be full of rust, or we'll have to check the neutral safety switch.

If you do find 12 volts at the smaller terminal on the solenoid, move the test light's ground clip to the engine and try again. If you don't have voltage now, the negative battery cable is bad or disconnected.
-2
Saturday, April 11th, 2015 AT 1:28 AM