Heater not working?

MAKYLE
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
Previous owner was driving it and heard the water pump squealing. Finished driving home roughly 5 miles. Parked it and replaced the water pump. I don't know if it was over heating prior to the water pump replacement or after. Any ways I started it up and it heated up pretty quick within a mile or so. The temp gauge went to redline and the warning buzzer dinged. I had turned on the heater right before it dinged. I felt the air and it would alternate from warm to cool air going down the road. The temp did lower a bit about 210 and then went back up and dinged again but quickly went back down and fluctuated from there on and never got back up where the warning would ding. But still would alternate from warm and cool air. Never did get hot air. When I parked it I could hear and see it periodically steaming out the side of the water pump where the steel tube is seated on the drivers side of the water pump. What is the possibilities for this.
Wednesday, September 16th, 2015 AT 10:58 PM

It's leaking coolant out where you say it steams. it had low coolant is why no heat.it will need either a gasket or pump is bad. I it may have gotten a piece of something stuck in thermostat as well.

This guide will help

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/car-heater-not-working

Please run down this guide and report back.

Thursday, September 17th, 2015 AT 6:03 AM
MAKYLE
It was full of coolant when I started it up and drove it. Like I said water pump was replaced before I got it. I'm changing the Tstat this weekend. The coolant was on the full when cold after I drove it roughly 30 minutes it was at low on the resivor. And yes the steaming was leaking coolant
Thursday, September 17th, 2015 AT 4:46 PM
GUTIEEL
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
The heater blows care but it doesn't get hot and air conditioner blows air but it doesn't get cold. For a while the heater would give a burst of hot air and then just blow air, in same with the air conditioner it would give a burst of cold then just air. The fan seems to work okay the vents are giving air and there are no unusual noises
Friday, November 27th, 2020 AT 11:15 AM (Merged)
Check your actuator for temp it may be hanging up or not working here is a tip from our tips page.

If you have a blend door that isn't working like it should, check the motor which can easily been seen from the passenger side floor board. If the motor is working, don't do what I did (pull the dash), just pull the motor. There is a small piece of plastic that attaches the motor to the metal blend door that easily breaks and is serviceable on its own.

Here is a picture of that little burger. See pic
+2
STEVEOZ
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
I replaced the thermostat and always flush my cooling system. Both heater hoses are warm. Heater core is not leaking and no smell of coolant.I move the temperature control knob and it sounds as if the blend door is working! Could this be the actuator and do I need to pull the dash out or maybe just the glovebox? And what repair manual can I use that will show me all the details on this repair. Thanks
Friday, November 27th, 2020 AT 11:16 AM (Merged)
Double check the blend door. As far as a manual, chances are you will need pictures from a dealer's manual. They offer mitchell online on this webpage. You can check it.
+1
STOROK
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
We just bought this truck. The heater blows only slightly warm air. If we turn it up, it blows harder - but the air feels even cooler. Then, we notice that the engine gets real hot (gauge near the red zone) when the heater is turned to the highest setting. It was low on coolant, so we took care of that, but the problem persists.
Has adding the coolant taken care of the engine running hot?

As far as the heat, try this. WIth the engine running, hot, and the heater on high, feel both heater core hoses. Both should be hot. Let me know what you find.

NATE325
  • 1999 DODGE RAM
AC is not working it is just staying on heater. We charged the condencer and everything but its still blowing hot. We bought new dash controls thinking it was the reason but it wasnt. How can I fix this?
WRENCHER1
That likely a problem with the blend air door in the unit behind the dash. You can pinch off one of the heater hoses to confirm that.
WHITINGS
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
We have put a new thermostat in and it still does not blow out hot air. The hoses connected to the heater core gets hot both going in and out itself gets really hot. It blows out plenty of air it just does not get hot. Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
Tim Whiting
BLACKOP555
Your gonna have to check your blend doors down inside of the dash in that case, it is probably sticking due to no vaccum or little or a bad switch, could even just be sticking. Check the vaccuum lines for cracks and cuts first.
SILKEY21
Is there any diagram or schematic that you have of where the blend dooors are, and vacuum lines as well, just tryn to save tearing stuff up lookn for em.
Anything would help. Thanks
BLACKOP555
Blend doors are under the dash in the heating ducts.

The vaccum lines I don not have a diagram off, there should be a sticker under the hood for vaccum lines.
SILKEY21
Another question blackop555 the dash on this truck, is there any way of getting the top cover off, and how, I removed all screws that I can see, and heard there is a few under but was unsure. Do you know of any way or does it all come off as one piece? Thanks
+1
SLFD59
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
I am not getting good heat and the coolant is filled
2CEXPT
For a start try replacing the thermostat and see what happens don't work check the heater core if its clogged-up

This guide can help

-1
BRIAN JEFFRIES
I had to fix the coolant leak because it was low the guide helped me the site is great!
DOINITMYSELF
  • 1998 DODGE RAM
I have noticed in the winter months that my heater does not blow hot air? I have checked all dampers and vacuum lines the blower motor is woking and I even flushed my raidiator. The heater core does not seemed to be plugged cause I can touch the outlet hose and its very hot but no hot air will come out only very little warm air? The thermostat is working fine and all gauges are normal. I have no idae on this one guys. Thanks
KHLOW2008
Hi doinitmyself,

Thank you for the donation.

Symptoms indicates a possible fault with the air blend doors. Check if the air blend door is operating correctly.
+1

Sponsored links