AUTOMATIC CLIMATE CONTROL ISSUE

1991 Oldsmobile

snosaint

May, 25, 2009 AT 4:34 PM

Air Conditioning problem
1991 Other Oldsmobile Models V8 Two Wheel Drive Automatic 139000 miles

custom cruiser-full size wagon. A few yrs ago the blower motor would not stop. I replaced the Blower control module, that fixed it. Now I have no blower but the control units says it is running on high. I have tried two more blower control modules(used/free) & the blower will work for maybe a day & then quit.
If I use a cheater cord & power the blower motor from the lighter, it runs.
The ventilation/heater/ac electronic control unit shows no error codes.

Heater Blower

A/c Fan

May, 25, 2009 AT 5:11 PM

Inspect and test the blower switch and the blower motor resistor.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_olds_blower_motor_1.jpg

snosaint

May, 25, 2009 AT 6:58 PM

There is no Blower motor resistor or switch in this model with climate control, all of that is electronically done by the Blower control module which, as I said, has gone kaput 3x in 3 days.

May, 25, 2009 AT 7:20 PM

Im using Mt1 and I'm coming up with this cruiser with the switch and resistor to include the AC control head and AC power module as illustrated on the EWD.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_ac_control_head_2.jpg

snosaint

May, 25, 2009 AT 7:34 PM

Not sure wht Mt1 is, but I had a similar problem 2 yrs ago & was told to replace the B M R. Looked & looked. Finally was told by someone that you get one or the other depending on system. This module fits right where a B M R would go on a non automatic AC /climate control like my similar '91 chevy wagon has- that car has the B M R where my olds has the module. Thats what my olds manual shows as well, I just cant figure out how to trouble shoot what the underlying problem is, though it was suggested on another site that a failing blower motor could take out the module.

May, 25, 2009 AT 7:47 PM

Possible that the blower motor is overloading and taking out the module. You tested that and it worked sounds more like a wiring/connection problem. This is one hectic and tedious work you are about to accomplish. Mit1 is nationally recognized automotive references services/repairs that we use to assist everyone that comes here. Sir if you're dissatified with my answers I ask you to request for your refund

snosaint

May, 25, 2009 AT 7:59 PM

Is it possible for the fan motor to still work but create the issues that would take out the module?
I believe that was what I was reading on a different site yesteday, though it was a different model/yr GM car and the guy was no expert, he was just relaying what someone else had told him. I didn't really " test" the blower motor, I just hooked directly to power & it runs.

May, 25, 2009 AT 8:42 PM

This yr/model according to the references am using has a blower motor resistor see below

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/12900_91_olds_custom_cruiser_blower_resistor_1.jpg

Change Your Blower Fan Motor Like a Pro