TURNS OVER BUT WON'T START

1997 Oldsmobile Delta 88

wgrider

1997 Oldsmobile Delta 88 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 120000 miles

Hi
Well it all started when I took car to garage to get fuel line fixed, it was leaking by tank. They dropped the tank, rebuilt sending unit and replaced the metal part of the lines from tank which then connect to the main fuel feed and return lines. Now when I try to start the car it just turns over and after long time will start, if I turn the key on so dash illuminates then back to off position then on again then continue with key to turn over engine it will eventually start. When they rebuilt the sending unit and I first got car back the fuel guage did not register past empty, I took it back and they dropped tank again and I was told the sending unit was installed improperly, guage then worked but now I have this other problem with starting and garage guy said stuff like this happens and I refuse to pay him more money.
please help
Lynn

January, 31, 2009 AT 12:09 AM

Go somewhere else and have the fuel pressure and igntion switch checked out.

wgrider

January, 31, 2009 AT 8:48 AM

Is there some kind of float ball or something connected to the sending unit or fuel pump that would stop the fuel from going back into the tank thus keeping the fuel line pressure from not holding? It just is weird that the problem started after they dropped the tank. I don't think the mechanic touched anything but battery cable under the hood let alone fuel pressure mechanism.

January, 31, 2009 AT 10:25 AM

Was it doing that prior to fixing the line and dropping the tank? If not he did something wrong Could be the fuel pump check vave and pump not connected properly

wgrider

January, 31, 2009 AT 10:35 AM

I don't think it was doing it before being fixed other than pressure dropping after a while from the leaking fuel line on return line. So there is a fuel pump check valve?

Could be the injector/s or the pressure regulator leaking dropping the pressure

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang