ENGINE WON'T START OCCASIONALLY

1997 Oldsmobile Delta 88

kidscars

May, 20, 2012 AT 3:03 PM

I have a 97 Oldsmobile delta 88 that turns over but will not start at times. I thought I had a fuel pump problem so I replaced it. Started fine the first couple times than would not start. I could hear fuel pump run and had gas at the fuel rail shraeder valve. My car run great when it starts.

ImpalaSS

May, 20, 2012 AT 3:07 PM

Have you checked the codes. For free AutoZone will pull codes. If you have any let me know what they are.
When trying to start make sure you have a good spark at the plugs. If you relaced the fuel pump then it may be you are not getting a constant spark

ImpalaSS

May, 20, 2012 AT 5:41 PM

Also check your coil pack for any signs of leaking, discoloration etc.

kidscars

May, 20, 2012 AT 6:27 PM

I checked for codes with obd 11 pocketscan code reader. The code that came up was p0336 crankshaft position sensor A ckt range/perf. I checked my haynes and am not sure if I will be able to replace this sensor. Can you give me some feedback

ImpalaSS

May, 20, 2012 AT 7:32 PM

What is your engine liter size and the 8th letter on your VIN - I have changed them before - you should be able to.

kidscars

May, 20, 2012 AT 7:50 PM

3.8 K the coil pack does not show any sign of leakage

ImpalaSS

May, 20, 2012 AT 9:41 PM

Okay 3.8L Vin K is located henind right side of crank pulley. I have attached several pics. The main one, then I broke that down in case you couldn't see it good enough.

kidscars

May, 20, 2012 AT 10:16 PM

Thanks for the info. Gona try replacing the crankshaft position sensor.

Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Fuel Pump Replacement
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe