SPUTTERING AND OCCASIONAL UP AND DOWN

1989 Oldsmobile Ciera

24sparrow

June, 12, 2010 AT 12:58 PM

1989 Oldsmobile Ciera 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 150000 miles

I have a 1989 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera with the 2.5L Iron Duke engine. It sputters when I rev it up just a little and sometimes it idles up and down. The only way I know to stop it idling up and down is to shut the car off then turn it back on, then it'll rev a little high (1400 rpms) then the rpm's back down to normal (800ish rpms).
I was doing some wikipedia research and they recommend that I replace the map sensor, egr valve (doesn't stick, but may have weak springs), and oxygen sensor. I dont have any trouble codes, but these parts are at least 40,000 miles (about 3 years) old. Should I replace them?

By the way, I have replaced just about everything you could imagine except for these 3 parts, and vaccum lines don't leak.

internetmechanic

June, 12, 2010 AT 1:39 PM

I wouldn't replace anything unless something pointed me in that direction. I'd take the throttle-body off and clean it, check the iac and tps. A bad gasket could cause a vacuum leak.

24sparrow

June, 12, 2010 AT 4:40 PM

Ok, it could be a bad gasket. I replaced the tps and iac, but not the throttle body to intake manifold gasket. I ordered the gasket today and it will arrive on Monday so I'll definitely try replacing that. I'll let you know how it goes.

24sparrow

June, 15, 2010 AT 3:25 PM

It didn't work, I probably just have a worn camshaft or timing gear.