1989 Oldsmobile Ciera Losing power - seriously

1989 Oldsmobile Ciera 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 90450 miles

This is a followup from 'rpm too high'.
OK. This car is strange. You can feel it lose power as soon as you step off the gas pedal, even when you are going down hill! But the rpm is never low.
going uphill, might as well forget it.I have to step on the gas a lot to get it going. But when it goes, it goes real fast, it also feels like it is not shifting to the last gear. Going uphill, it works much better in the 2nd gear. Besides a tune up, what can I do to get this going. Could it be a transmission problem?
thanks for any and all help.

Saturday, November 29th, 2008 AT 8:43 AM

Hello -

If you need to get back with us please let us know if this model is a Ciera International, S, SL, Cruiser, or Cruiser SL. Also, is your engine a 2.8L or 3.3L?

Since this is a follow-up from RPM too high. What was the fix for that?

When you let off the gas put the car in neutral and see if that makes a difference. If not then I wouldn't think it is your transmission. You can though take your car to some transmission shops and for free they can give it a once over.

If you put it in neutral and it doesn't make a difference - then it may be a brake sticking. Does the car pull to one side? Have you checked all your rotors to see if they are super hot or wearing funny?

Your emergency brake is not stuck on is it?

Also, just in case, please go to Auto Zone (AZ) or O'Reilly's (OR) and for FREE they can pull the codes to the car. Most important: Once they check your codes, if they find something and you don't get it fixed and need to get back with us, please make sure you tell us exactly what the code was, number and all. Example, if the code was E0568 O2 Sensor bad. Then make sure you give us all of that. While there for FREE also they can bring their tester out and check your battery, alternator and starter.

Let me know the above and we can take if from there.

Saturday, November 29th, 2008 AT 10:35 AM