2001 Oldsmobile Alero Car won't start-engine cranks but doe

MZROBYN
  • 2001 OLDSMOBILE ALERO
My car will not start. However, the engine cranks but does not fire. I checked under the hood and there was two red wires connected with a fuse at the bottom of wires just lying underneath my hood between the alarm siren and battery. Should this red wire be attached and if so where? Could this red wire not being connecting be the culprit? Please HELP!
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010 AT 7:43 PM

Try hooking it up to the battery positive post and see what happens-if it continues cranking and no start do below to determine if its fuel or spark.

Get a helper disconnect a sparkplug wire or 2 and ground it to the engine -have helper crank engine over-do you have a snapping blue spark? If so-you have a fuel related problem, check the fuel pressure to rule out the fuel filter/fuel pump/pressure regulator and listen to the injector/s are they pulsing or hook up a noid light. No snapping blue spark continue to troubleshoot the ignition system-power input to the coil/coil packs, coil's resistances, distributor pick-up coil, ignition control module, cam and crank sensors and computer Note: If it doesn't apply disregard
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010 AT 8:40 PM
MZROBYN
Thank you for your response. How do I hook it up to the positive battery post? I know where the positive battery post is but how does the wire stay in place?
Sunday, May 2nd, 2010 AT 8:55 PM
MZROBYN
Attached is a picture of the red wire in question. Please explain how I connect this red wire to the positive battery post? Thank you.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/523404_red_wire_found_under_hood_of_car_1.jpg

Monday, May 3rd, 2010 AT 6:45 PM
Did you do my 1st suggestion if not do so and get back disregard the red wire at this time, Not familiar with that gadget
Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 5:56 AM
MZROBYN
Thank you but I am confused. I thought the first suggestion was to connect the red wire(in the picture) to the positive battery post. Which I could not figure out how to do that so I sent the picture of the red wire. The other suggestions I have not tired because I just had a diagnostic and an inspection two days prior to my car not starting and everything checked out. So I thought that this red wire(in the picture) that I found under my hood on the day that my car would not start had something to do with my car alarm like the power wire for the car alarm or something and that it somehow got disconnected and is now preventing the car from starting. I don't know. What do you think?
Tuesday, May 4th, 2010 AT 8:56 PM