WATER IN CLYLINDERS

1996 Oldsmobile 88

harleysoftail98

October, 15, 2008 AT 7:22 PM

1996 Oldsmobile 88 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 102648 miles

my son has a 96 old 88.V6.3.8. It locked up on him. Thought mabey the timing chain, but when I put num.1 plug had water in it. Then thought head gasket. Than I pulled all the plugs and theres water in all the clylinders. What do you guys think?Thanks for your help

blackop555

October, 15, 2008 AT 9:48 PM

V6. Hmm if theres water in all cylindres I might be thinking the engien is hydrolocked from leaky intake manifold gasket.

Is it water or antifreeze?

harleysoftail98

October, 16, 2008 AT 3:37 AM

Thanks for your answer. Its antifreeze. Answer to your? I was afraid might be cracked block.I started pulling the intake off. Thanks for your answer

blackop555

October, 17, 2008 AT 3:51 PM

But since all cylinders are fulled I kinda rule out a cracked block since you say its a v6 not a straight/inline 6.

Get a compression test going and see.

oufan59

November, 21, 2008 AT 11:51 AM

Had to replace the upper intake manifold (plenum) & gasket. Odd design has water going up into the intake end of the plenum. If slightly overheated or run low on coolant the joint looses it's seal & you guessed it, pours water into the intake.
I used a shop vac & small Dia. Hose to clear the cylinders through the spark plug holes & top of the intake manifold (lower) & changed the oil. Replaced the plenum & gasket, ($120@ parts store) started right up & runs great.

blackop555

November, 22, 2008 AT 7:53 AM

Thats really thought out, good job.

Hope it helps him with his problem.

Valve Cover Gasket Replacement Toyota Corolla
Spark Plug Replacement Ford Explorer 4.6L V8
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500