1996 OLDSMOBILE 88 WATER IN CLYLINDERS

• Harleysoftail98
  • 1996 OLDSMOBILE 88

1996 Oldsmobile 88 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 102648 miles

my son has a 96 old 88.V6.3.8. It locked up on him. Thought mabey the timing chain, but when I put num.1 plug had water in it. Then thought head gasket. Than I pulled all the plugs and theres water in all the clylinders. What do you guys think?Thanks for your help

Wednesday, October 15th, 2008 AT 7:22 PM

• Blackop555

V6. Hmm if theres water in all cylindres I might be thinking the engien is hydrolocked from leaky intake manifold gasket.

Is it water or antifreeze?

Wednesday, October 15th, 2008 AT 9:48 PM
  • Harleysoftail98

Thanks for your answer. Its antifreeze. Answer to your? I was afraid might be cracked block.I started pulling the intake off. Thanks for your answer

Thursday, October 16th, 2008 AT 3:37 AM
  • Blackop555

But since all cylinders are fulled I kinda rule out a cracked block since you say its a v6 not a straight/inline 6.

Get a compression test going and see.

Friday, October 17th, 2008 AT 3:51 PM
  • Oufan59

Had to replace the upper intake manifold (plenum) & gasket. Odd design has water going up into the intake end of the plenum. If slightly overheated or run low on coolant the joint looses it's seal & you guessed it, pours water into the intake.
I used a shop vac & small Dia. Hose to clear the cylinders through the spark plug holes & top of the intake manifold (lower) & changed the oil. Replaced the plenum & gasket, ($120@ parts store) started right up & runs great.

Friday, November 21st, 2008 AT 11:51 AM
  • Blackop555

Thats really thought out, good job.

Hope it helps him with his problem.

Saturday, November 22nd, 2008 AT 7:53 AM