OIL SEAL LEAK - NOW LOW OIL PRESSURE

1988 Toyota Corolla

mrglass

August, 16, 2013 AT 6:51 AM

I have a 1988 corolla 4A-F engine. It has been leaking oil from the crankshaft seal for almost a year. I have left it go, as oil loss not that great but a big oily mess in right wheel area. The belts are starting to get oily now so I need to do something. Last week the low oil pressure light is flickering on at low RPM and idle. My question is: can a very bad oil seal cause a low oil pressure or do I now have a bad oil pump? It looks like the oil pump is right behind seal, driven off crank but I am having trouble getting the oil pan down because of 2 screws located above engine support cross member.

hmac300

August, 16, 2013 AT 9:27 AM

It depends on how much oil is leaking. If you let it go it was always low on oil which isn't good for the bearing s so yo mayhave worn a bearing out in front causing your low oil pressure. However it could be a bad oil filter as well and the best thing is to put a good oil filter on it. And make sure oil is full then see if it does it of course this is including fixing oil seal leakage as well. I only recommend napa, Purolator, bosch and wix filters

mrglass

August, 18, 2013 AT 5:56 PM

Thanks Hmac,
I will try an oil change and see what happens. I do not beleive that I let the oil level get to low although the car does have high mileage. One time I let the oil get a little below add but oil presure light did not come on. I guess I should check the oil pressure with a mechanical gauge just to check that the sender is not out of calibration. I would think that the sender would fail one way or the other and not just go out of calibration.
Jim L

Engine Oil Change and Filter
Engine Oil Change and Filter Saturn Vue
Engine Oil Change and Filter Toyota Tundra
 Oil Change & Filter Ford Explorer 2000-2005
Oil Change and Filter Dodge Charger
Engine Oil Change and Filter GMC Sierra