Not start - dash not indicate Park / N

ALONEII
  • 2000 HONDA ACCORD
After replacing passgr top motor mount, driver trans mounts (2 f & r), replacing steering rack, L & R struts, ball joints upper & lower, outer tie rod ends, & obviously to do all this I had to drop frt sub-frame, drop exhaust (mnfld, resonator & pipe etc.) & Steering fluid lines, brake stuff, etc.

Once reassembled, properly installed & everything properly torqued car doesn't start, doesn't even engage solenoid or starter mtr. Problem appears to be related to auto trans start lockout function! Appears, as per observation below, that the lockout controlling mechanism does not recognize gear selector position properly.

To my knowledge nothing I have done should have caused tis. Car worked perfectly, with respect to this function/feature, for nearly 10 yrs of our ownership. Confused. Please help.

When key inserted, dash indicator lights appropriately light up, key turns as required; however, car does start. Doesnt crank. Note: if in Park Or Neutral, gear selector indicator does not light/indicate either of those two positions is currently selected. When D3, 2, Or 1st is selected dash indicator will either light the appropriate selector Or light the selection AND the selection for D4 will flash. When D4 is selected dash indicator light (D4) will either be on solid by itself Or flash without any of the other gear indicators on. Park & Neutral do not light at any time -even when manually selected from underneath the car with linkage cover removed & using hand to manually move through the gear selection positions & stopping in each position with key on & parking gear lock manually disengaged.

FYI: batt known good & fully charged, polarity checked & correct, available voltage & current appropriate etc.

Obsevations:

- transmission gear indicator not indicate in (Park), doesnt indicate (Neutral) when known & manually verified in those positions from under car w-shifting cover off & manually operating/moving linkage to verify it's proper operation & position (you know removed linkage to drop sub frame to replace steering rack - steering column too. D4 light flash, not light in R or N, lights in D3, 2, & 1
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 AT 8:33 PM

CADIEMAN
U will need to ck. The neutral safety switch it's mounted on the transmission where your manual shifting the trans at the end of the shift cable. U may have pulled the wiring connector loose or mat need to try and realign it. If that doesn't work u may have to replace it so it will start in neutral and park.
Tuesday, January 27th, 2015 AT 10:29 PM
ALONEII
As it turns out a couple things of concern. First either my memory or the memory of the gentleman who was helping me get started reveals a bit of a lapse - critical albeit. Lol. One of us dion nectar two electrical plugs on driver's side of dash (behind a pear shaped panel wherein electrical on nectar & fuses are located). Once I made that discovery & performed the subsequent reconnecting of said cables all was right with the Honda world. Dash indicators worked, car started & ran!

However, the second issue is of greater concern. In the process of diagnosing the issue a check of the transmission end of the shift cable (again a V6 3.0 w-another 4 spd tranny) confirmed my recollection that the cable was completely mechanic - NO electronic sensing device present. My assumption at that point was the position sensing device must be in the passenger compartment attached in some fashion to the shifter/cable.

I reviewed parts listing for a Honda 2000 Accord V6 auto transmission and sure enough the only part listing I could find showed it to be located -aas you indicated - at the end of the cable beneath a cover fastened to transmission by three bolts. Hmmmm.
Further review of online info including YouTube video revealed same thing you described.

For the record what do you think is going on? We have owned the car for 10 yrs no wrecks no engine/transmission chgs. Why the obvious radical difference -admittedly the car is & was functioning properly. Mid-year change over? I can't find reference to it anywhere.

I know 2009 Accord had a mid-year change over with the rear brakes being changed to those used on 2010 model. Although parts books don't all reflect that possibility. (We have one, I learned when I Chg'd brakes.)

Two points for your future client related problem questions:

- if/wwhen no Park / Neutral dash indicator yet other dash indicators work/light there are (3) possibilities: blown lights - unlikely if more than one not lit; more than one light out may indicate probable electrical issue - ie. Plug loose/disconnected (as you noted) or position sensor bad;

- in event D4 indicator is flashing that is the equivalent of the "check engine" warning indicator - in this case either open circuit - connector unplugged OR as I believe is also possibly true, flashing may also indicate position sensor detects a 'miss-aligned' sensor (incorrectly replaced on shafts not corresponding to ECU/TCS expectations) need to remove & remount so position indicator reflect transmission gear shaft's actual position.

- FYI for those who don't already know (I didn't) a flashing dash gear indicator supposedly is a warning of a transmission issue/pproblem inclding, but not limited to a "low transmission fluid" condition - according to what I have just learned.

- according to what I found in the process of my search/diagnosis at least two other possibilities exist: bad ignition switch & the key's ID chip is bad or ECU may need to be resync'd with the key to permit key to start car.

Is any of this accurate?

Any idea's why my @000 Accord V6 does not have transmission gear sensor located at transmission end of shifter cable?
Wednesday, January 28th, 2015 AT 3:41 PM
CADIEMAN
IS YOU CAR OK NOW?
Wednesday, January 28th, 2015 AT 4:16 PM