A clicking does normally indicate a CV joint. Tell me, does it get worse if you are turning? Try that and let me know. If you find it gets worse, here is a link that shows in general how one is replaced:
Here are the directions specific to your vehicle for replacement. The attached pics correlate with the directions.
2000 Ford Truck Explorer 4WD V8-302 5.0L VIN P SFI
Removal and Installation
Vehicle Transmission and Drivetrain Drive Axles, Bearings and Joints Axle Shaft Assembly Axle Shaft Service and Repair Procedures Axle Shaft Assembly, Constant Velocity Type Removal and Installation
REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION
1. WARNING: The electrical power to the air suspension system must be shut off prior to hoisting, jacking or towing an air suspension vehicle. This can be accomplished by turning off the air suspension switch located in the rear jack storage area. Failure to do so can result in unexpected inflation or deflation of the air springs, which can result in shifting of the vehicle during these operations.
Raise and support the vehicle.
2. Remove the wheel and tire assembly.
3. CAUTION: Discard the wheel hub retainer nut and washer assembly. It is a torque prevailing design and cannot be reused.
Remove the wheel hub retainer nut and washer assembly.
4. Position the disc brake caliper aside.
1. Remove the two front disc brake caliper bolts.
2. Lift the front disc brake caliper off the front disc brake caliper anchor plate and position aside.
5. Remove the brake discs.
6. CAUTION: Do not use a hammer to separate the outboard front wheel halfshaft joint from the hub. Damage to the outboard CV joint stub shaft housing threads and internal components may result.
Install the special tool and separate the halfshaft from the hub. Remove the special tool.
7. Support the front suspension lower arm.
8. Remove the upper ball joint to front wheel knuckle nut and bolt.
9. Remove the outboard front wheel driveshaft and joint from the hub.
1. Rotate the front wheel knuckle.
2. Compress the outboard front wheel driveshaft and joint.
3. Remove the outboard front wheel driveshaft and joint from the wheel hub.
10. Using the CV Joint Puller and Impact Slide Hammer, separate the front wheel driveshaft and joint from the front axle housing.
11. Remove the front wheel driveshaft and joint from the front axle housing.
1. CAUTION: A new front axle wheel hub retaining nut and washer assembly must be installed.
CAUTION: Do not use power or impact tools to tighten the hub nut and washer assembly.
CAUTION: Do not reuse the retainer circlip. A new circlip must be installed each time the inboard CV joint stub shaft housing is installed into the differential.
Follow the removal procedure in reverse order.
Let me know if this helps or if you have other questions.
Images (Click to enlarge)
Saturday, December 12th, 2020 AT 11:30 PM