Starter not turning over

ROBSTER62
  • 2003 BMW 745
I had arrived at home and turned car off. A few hours later I went to start car and nothing. The dash lights up but flicker when I hit the start button. The starter does not turn over. Is there a way to hook up a remote starter without hooking up directly to the starter because it is near impossible to get to?
Wednesday, June 9th, 2021 AT 12:49 AM

KASEKENNY1
Here are some guides that will help with this issue as it seems like the starter needs to be replaced:

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/starter-not-working-repair

https://youtu.be/5Jd2-wfIKOw

Unfortunately it is not possible to put a remote starter on this vehicle. It is not possible because you need access to the crankshaft and the only place to install a starter like this would be in the current location.

Below is the process from the manual for your review. Please let us know if you have other questions. Thanks
Thursday, June 10th, 2021 AT 3:56 PM
ROBSTER62
I want to bypass the push button start and wire in my own remote start button.
Monday, June 14th, 2021 AT 5:54 AM
KASEKENNY1
Unfortunately I don't think this is possible. The reason is, the ignition switch contains what is called the EWS transponder. This is basically the module that tells the PCM that a valid key was used to start the engine and that it is okay to start.

So if you bypass the push button then you are bypassing this as well and it will not tell the PCM that it is okay to start and the engine will not start. I attached the info on this below.
Monday, June 14th, 2021 AT 8:22 PM
ROBSTER62
I had went home and turned off my car. A few minutes later I went out to leave again and I put the key in and pushed the start/stop button and my dashboard lights just flickered with a very slight faint click sound. I had bought the car about a month before and the right side headlight was not getting power and so I tapped in to the power wire which was not showing any voltage with the car running and ran the extended wire inside the car and I would plug it into the cigarette lighter socket at the rear of the console when I would drive the car. I ran it that way for the whole month that I drove the car. That is the only thing I did that might have something to do with the problem that I am having. I thank you for your knowledge and help.
Monday, June 14th, 2021 AT 10:46 PM

Sponsored links