No sound from radio

STEVE PRESS
  • 1994 FORD EXPLORER
I have taken out the old stock radio to replace it with a JVC radio model number KD - g400. To do the swap I had to buy the JVC radio harness and the harness to switch from stock radio to aftermarket radio for the truck itself, after everything is hooked up properly, but I cannot get sound out of my speakers, but everything else turns on. The only way I have sound as if I hardwired it from the JVC harness directly to my speakers. What would be going wrong for that to happen?
Thursday, June 16th, 2016 AT 2:30 PM

There was probably a factory amplifier that needs to be bypassed or turned on. Only Chrysler radios all put out speaker level audio whether the vehicle has an amp or not. Their amps don't increase volume or power. They are only for tone conditioning for the shape of the vehicle. On GM and Ford products, radios that use an amp have to be used with an amp, and those that don't use an amp can not be used with an amp.

If your new radio has RCA jacks, those are low-level audio and can be wired to a factory Ford or GM amp. If you don't have an amp or want to remove it, your new radio will also have the standard speaker-level wires.

All factory amps have 12 volts there all the time. There is a separate wire that needs 12 volts to tell it when to turn on. Your aftermarket radio will also have the wire to turn on remote things. It's usually a yellow wire labeled "power antenna", but it can be used for an amp too.

Be aware that by the mid '80s all car radios had two wires going to each speaker. Same is true for all aftermarket radios. None of the speaker wires can be grounded like they were years before that.
-1
Thursday, June 16th, 2016 AT 7:39 PM
BROOK-LYNN PRESCOTT
How do you wire a radio with RCA jacks to a factory GM amp?
Tuesday, April 4th, 2017 AT 3:16 PM
KEN
Hi Brook can you please start a new question?

https://www.2carpros.com/questions/new

Best, Ken
Friday, April 7th, 2017 AT 11:38 AM