No reverse

ROBERT 253
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Drove to work no problem at all, backed into spot and at end of the day pulled out of spot and it started making a whirring sound. I put truck into reverse to back into spot, and nothing no reverse. All forward gears seem to work, whirring noise is only in park neutral and reverse it goes away when in drive. It is showing a vehicle speed sensor code also.
Wednesday, August 10th, 2016 AT 6:58 PM

I doubt the sensor is causing the no reverse problem. have a transmission professional look at it. I have seen that failure many times in these transmissions, its an internal issue and will need a rebuild, I believe it has something to do with a planetary gear set breaking

Check out this guide n transmission issues

https://www.2carpros.com/articles/automatic-transmission-problems
+2
Thursday, August 11th, 2016 AT 6:18 AM
RAY 5150
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
When I'm in 4wd and try to reverse it makes a really bad grinding noise but doesn't do it when I'm in 2wd and doesn't do it when going forward
Saturday, November 24th, 2018 AT 6:56 AM (Merged)
KEN
This could be one of two things, either the transfer case is broken, or the front differential is having problems.

While in four wheel drive, in drive and while the sounds is being generated, have a helper watch the front drive shaft, if the shaft is spinning without the car going anywhere, the front differential is broken. If the drive shaft is still and the noise is being made the transfer case is hurt and needs to be dissembled.
CLAYSBAD
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Does the PCM control the reverse in the transmission. The vehicle won't go in reverse. Won't shift out of 2nd. Gear until you release the throttle.
It has a tcm but it sounds like trans is in limp mode have a trans guy look at it probably time for a rebuild.
DCDUDEK1
  • 2002 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
2002 Chevy Trailblazer 6 cyl Two Wheel Drive Automatic 60.100 miles

My car drove fine all the way to work, I went to leave and it won't go in reverse. I had someone push me out of the parking spot and I put it in drive and it worked fine, it just wont go in reverse. When I go frome drive to reverse it makes a whinning noise. Help
BRIAN 1
The reaction sun gear is stripped, very common problem. I assume you have a 4L60E trans. It will have to be overhauled.
+2
HEATHERKERN
  • 2005 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
  • 207 MILES
It starts and runs fine. When I put it into gear it doesn't go anywhere. I can put it in drive and reverse and take my foot off the break, doesn't move. When I put it in gear and put my foot on the gas it still goes nowhere. It had 207,000 mile on it.
Saturday, November 24th, 2018 AT 6:57 AM (Merged)
FREEMBA
Check the automatic transmission fluid level.
Check the linkage from the shifter to the transmission lever (on the transmission). To do this (with the engine off)
Set the park brake.
Have an assistant to hold the brake pedal and shift the lever from PARK to REVERSE and then to DRIVE, several times.
While this is going on you should look underneath the vehicle to see if the transmission shift lever is moving (it is located on the driver's side of the transmission - about 4-5 inches from where the engine and transmission bolt together).
HEATHERKERN
Did all that. My fluid is fine and it shifts.
HEATHERKERN
But it still doesn't go anywhere.
FREEMBA
Does the shifter feel more loose than normal?
If so, the small grommet in the end of the shifter cable gets brittle from the transmission heat and breaks apart. This is fairly common on these models. (But of course, each case is different).
If it is not shifter related then its likely an internal problem (such as a broken or disconnected link to the manual shift valve)
How was the transmission acting just before it started this problem?
HEATHERKERN
What had happened was, I was on my way home and the vehicle started chugging. So I took my foot off the gas. When I put my foot on the gas it wasn't doing anything. So I pulled over to the side of the road and stopped. When I stopped I lost all power. So I turned the key off and tried to turn it back on and nothing happened. Got it home, charged the battery and the it starts up and keeps running. When u put it in gear it won't go. Checked everything from fluids, fuses and wireing. Its all fine.
+1
RICKL81
  • 2003 CHEVROLET TRAILBLAZER
Trans started running sluggish put out a code for sensors so I replaced the sensors still no change. A week or so later trans went into neutral all together. So I replaced the trans with still nothing happening. I was told some times the transfer case can go bad. So I replaced that still nothing any suggestion will help. Thanks Rick
FREEMBA
Is the "Service Engine" light on?
With the scenario you described there should be a computer code stored in memory. If so, that code will give us a great place to start tracking down this problem.
It's time to call in the professionals. That will save you a lot of time and dollars. The initial mistake was that diagnostic fault codes never say to replace parts or that they're bad. They only indicate the circuit or system that needs further diagnosis. When a part, typically a sensor, is referenced in a fault code, that part is actually the cause of the code about half of the time. The diagnostic time you pay the mechanic for is to perform tests on the wiring and connectors, and to rule out mechanical issues with electrical parts.

"So I replaced the trans with still nothing happening"

"Still nothing" is wide open to interpretation. To avoid confusion, please say specifically what is happening.
HEATHERKERN
No engine light
-1
RICKL81
The truck is in park but when put into gear nothing like it is in neutral
FREEMBA
Does the shifter feel more loose than normal? (Do you feel it click into each gear range?)
-2
This is going to sound stupid, but have you checked if the bolts fell out of the flex plate where they bolt to the torque converter? You should feel something when shifting into reverse, even if nothing moves when you speed up the engine.