Nonstop on/off air compressor/Hesitation/Warm air

NCBLUEICE8
  • NISSAN XTERRA

I have a 2004 Nissan Xterra with 41,000 miles. A few months ago I noticed a clicking noise that I had never heard before. I found out that it was my air compressor turing on and off. It turns on and then right back off, so it is a continual clicking noise. If I have the AC on when I am driving the car hesitates every time the compressor clicks on or off. It feels like my car is holding back every few seconds. Like someone tried to pop it into neutral but then decided to put it back into drive. My air conditioner is also lacking in its ability to blow out cold air. When I turn the AC on it feels like it is blowing room temperature air out. I thought maybe, just maybe I might be low on freon, so I refilled it and that definitely wasn't the problem. The clicking noise that the air compressor is making when it turns on and off is driving me insane and the room temperature air is waaaay too hot for me. I live in Florida and I have noticed that I am better off driving with the windows down than sweltering with the 80 degree air blowing in my face from the AC. If anyone has any idea what could be wrong, please let me know! Thanks!

Tuesday, June 12th, 2007 AT 1:27 PM

PATCH

Sounds like it may be the clutch cycling pressure switch or low on refrigerant, if low on refrigerant it may have leaks the leak will need repaired.

Caution: a/c has high pressure gases that can explode if you don't know what your doing

Wednesday, June 13th, 2007 AT 7:41 AM
BRIANMC1975

@ncblueice8 I have the exact same problem! I tried replacing the "Thermo Control Amplifier" or some similar part for the 2004 model and it worked for about a week. Then its back to the same on/off clicking noise w/ minimal cold air blowing out. What could be the problem?

Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 12:15 PM
KHLOW2008

Hi BrianMC1975,

If you have filled in freon prior to it occurring, then it is overfilled.

Get the high and low pressure readings and let me know what they says.

+1
Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 12:27 PM
BRIANMC1975

@ KHLow2008 I have not added any freon to the system. That is my next step. I will check the pressure readings and let you know what they are. Thank you for the reply.

+1
Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 12:38 PM
KHLOW2008

You're welcome.

Compressor clicking on and off is definitely not due to lack of freon.

Apart from excessive freon, other possible causes are:
1. Weak clutch coil.
2. Excessive clutch clearance.
3. Faulty magnetic clutch relay.
4. Faulty controls.

Tuesday, July 20th, 2010 AT 1:28 PM