2000 Nissan Xterra Electrical problems

RADIANT777
  • 2000 NISSAN XTERRA
2000 Nissan Xterra 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic

My exterra has no power electrical of mechanical. I replaced battery but still no power at all. Not sure if it is the alternator or starter. Last option would have to have my vehicle towed to repair shop. Is there a way to see if the alternator or starter is the problem without racking up an expensive repair bill?
Wednesday, June 11th, 2008 AT 3:25 AM

KHLOW2008
Hi radiant777,

You mean you are unable to crank the engine?

Does you vehicle comes with the immobiliser system?

Are the gers in either P or N when cranking?
+2
Wednesday, June 11th, 2008 AT 9:58 AM
RADIANT777
Thant is correct. The vehicle will not crank and I do have it in park when I do try to start it. There is nothing happening. There is no power to the radio, dome lights nor power lock doors, etc. My voltmeter indicates that the battery has a full charge. I've never heard of an immobiliser system. If my vehicle has it I've never known about it.
Wednesday, June 11th, 2008 AT 9:15 PM
KHLOW2008
Hi radiant777,

The immo sensor is installed at the ignition key and there is a chip inside your car key.

If you hace a spare key, use it and try to see if you can start.

If the immo is having problem, there would not be any gauge or meter indicator lights showing when turning ignition switch to on.

If you have the indicators working, then it should be electrical, either a faulty ignition switch, starter relay or gear shift inhibitor switch.
-1
Thursday, June 12th, 2008 AT 6:06 AM
RADIANT777
Thanks for responding KHLow2008, My ignition key has no chip in it. Going to use a voltmeter to check the alternator and starter. If nothing is found I guess I am going to have to have it towed to a repair shop.
-1
Thursday, June 12th, 2008 AT 7:26 AM
FLGIRL
Radiant777. Did you ever find out the problem? I'm having the exact same issue with my 2000 Xterra currently. I'd like to know what I'm in for.
-1
Tuesday, January 6th, 2009 AT 8:40 PM
XTERRASTERIAL
Sounds like neutral safety switch
Sunday, April 5th, 2009 AT 3:20 PM