HARD STARTING

Nissan Truck

strubharj

October, 30, 2007 AT 7:22 PM

Have 1991 Nissan P/U, 108,000 miles, 4 cylinder, 2-wheel drive. Recently changed chain tensioner on truck, ensured that both marking links on chain were in correct place and that #1 cylinder was TDC and distributor was in correct position. Truck has new battery and starter.
The problem that I have is that the truck will sometimes start but will usually just try to turn over and just kind of grinds at it. The battery is charged (12.7 volts) and voltage drops to 10.3 - 10.8 when starter is engaged. We have tried to move the distributor when starting, moved plug wires 1 position counter and clockwise but to no avail. Any suggestions? I appreciate anything you can tell me.

1991 Hard To Start

Engine Does Not Stay Running

fisherman

October, 30, 2007 AT 7:32 PM

Hello!
Looks to me like your engine its hard to turn because of the timing chain its not set it right.
I know you re saying that you check it.
But. Sometimes 1 single teeth its enough to make it " heavy" on start-up.

Are you positive that the timing chain its right on?

Let us know to continue.

fisherman

October, 30, 2007 AT 7:41 PM

Her a Pic. of the timing marks:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/576_Nissan_Chain_1.jpg

strubharj

October, 30, 2007 AT 7:53 PM

I appreciate your response. I was pretty sure the Timing Chain was set right but will take it all apart and look at it this Friday or Saturday to make sure. Will let you know what happens.

fisherman

October, 30, 2007 AT 8:04 PM

OK we will be here !

Make sure that the tensioner its not moving the " timing" marks once its on place.
Sometimes you set it right but when the tensioner takes the overlap it " moves" the sprocket (either one, crankshaft or camshaft)

good luck!

strubharj

October, 30, 2007 AT 8:12 PM

Great suggestion. I didnt even think of that. The tensionor does snap hard into place when you pull the pin.

fisherman

October, 30, 2007 AT 8:29 PM

Yes, That could be the problem.

Hey! I saw you donate!

Thanks a lot! We appreciate that!

We will be here for you on any question!

Good Luck and thanks again!

fisherman

October, 31, 2007 AT 8:17 PM

More info:

Timing Chain
Removal (Pickup)

1. Remove front cover. Carefully remove chain tensioner. DO NOT lose spring. Remove chain guides. Remove camshaft sprocket bolt, ensuring camshaft does not rotate. Remove timing chain and camshaft sprocket.

CAUTION: DO NOT rotate camshaft or crankshaft with timing chain disconnected.
2. Remove oil slinger (if equipped). On Pickup, remove oil pump drive gear (note installation direction). remove crankshaft sprocket. Remove chain guide and tensioner.
Inspection

1. Check camshaft sprocket tooth surface for flaws and wear. Install sprocket on camshaft, and check for runout. Replace sprocket if necessary.
2. Check timing chain for damage and excessive wear at roller links. Replace timing chain if faulty or stretched. Check chain tensioner and guide for excessive wear and defects. Replace as necessary.
Installation

1. Ensure No. 1 piston is at TDC of compression stroke. Camshaft knockpin should be at 12 o'clock position. Align silver timing chain link with punch mark on sprocket.
2. Install timing chain onto crankshaft sprocket. Align marks on timing chain with marks on crankshaft sprocket. Both sprocket timing marks will be toward left of engine. Install chain guide and tensioner. Adjust chain guide tensioner.
3. Install oil pump drive gear onto crankshaft with large chamfered inner face toward rear. Install oil slinger (if equipped). To complete installation, reverse removal procedure.

View of the components:

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/576_Nissan_Chain_2_1.jpg

Good Luck!!!

Fuel Pump Test Chevy Tahoe
Fuel Pump Pressure Test
Fuel Pump Replacement Ford Mustang
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Replacement