1. Remove front cover. Carefully remove chain tensioner. DO NOT lose spring. Remove chain guides. Remove camshaft sprocket bolt, ensuring camshaft does not rotate. Remove timing chain and camshaft sprocket.
CAUTION: DO NOT rotate camshaft or crankshaft with timing chain disconnected.
2. Remove oil slinger (if equipped). On Pickup, remove oil pump drive gear (note installation direction). remove crankshaft sprocket. Remove chain guide and tensioner.
1. Check camshaft sprocket tooth surface for flaws and wear. Install sprocket on camshaft, and check for runout. Replace sprocket if necessary.
2. Check timing chain for damage and excessive wear at roller links. Replace timing chain if faulty or stretched. Check chain tensioner and guide for excessive wear and defects. Replace as necessary.
1. Ensure No. 1 piston is at TDC of compression stroke. Camshaft knockpin should be at 12 o'clock position. Align silver timing chain link with punch mark on sprocket.
2. Install timing chain onto crankshaft sprocket. Align marks on timing chain with marks on crankshaft sprocket. Both sprocket timing marks will be toward left of engine. Install chain guide and tensioner. Adjust chain guide tensioner.
3. Install oil pump drive gear onto crankshaft with large chamfered inner face toward rear. Install oil slinger (if equipped). To complete installation, reverse removal procedure.
View of the components:
Wednesday, October 31st, 2007 AT 8:17 PM