WOULD LIKE SOME ADVICE

Nissan Maxima

kenneth8770

July, 18, 2007 AT 8:58 AM

Q: 2000 Nissan Maxima mileage: 59000. It’s a manual. Problem is: when I start my car in the morning the rpm go crazy. Before it idles out the rpm drop, sputters, than stalls out. Once I start the car back up the rpm’s stutter a little than idles out to normal. Now when I drive the car hesitates. If I try to push the gas pedal down to go a little faster sometimes the car doesn’t do anything. Doesn’t speed up. It actually starts to loose speed and rpm’s drop. I am thinking it’s the Mass Air Flow Sensor but not sure. Any help would be appreciated

anubis679

July, 19, 2007 AT 10:30 PM

Has the check engine light come on at all while this is happening? It sounds like a possible timing problem or maybe a spark plug problem. The max air could be the problem but you would notice some fine black smoke coming out of your tailpipe if the car was running rich. If its running lean then u would have to check your fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel injectors for problems. Its easier to know if a car is running rich because you will smell the gas and see the fine black smoke from the pipe.

I had a similar problem with my car (96 Maxima) and it was the Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor which tells the PCM (computer) how to regulate engine temperature by controlling: air, gas, ignition timing and coolant usage in the engine. If the Sensor is bad then the PCM will not know how to regulate the engine properly.

Sincerely,

kenneth8770

July, 21, 2007 AT 6:56 AM

[quote=" anubis679" ]

has the check engine light come on at all while this is happening? It sounds like a possible timing problem or maybe a spark plug problem. The max air could be the problem but you would notice some fine black smoke coming out of your tailpipe if the car was running rich. If its running lean then u would have to check your fuel filter, fuel pump and fuel injectors for problems. Its easier to know if a car is running rich because you will smell the gas and see the fine black smoke from the pipe.

Sincerely,

Joe,
To answer your question no the check engine light does not come on. And no I dont see any black smoke coming from my tailpipe but I do smell a little bit of gas when I start the car in the mornings. But its not very strong. Would the check engine light come on if the PCM is bad?

Thanks again,
ken

Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Toyota Tacoma
Mass Air Flow Sensor Clean Ford Explorer 1995