1995 Nissan Maxima hard start in morning

Shakes or Wobbles problem
1995 Nissan Maxima 6 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 130, 00 miles

My car, when starting first thing in day, or when it sits for a over 3 hours; shakes. After driving for 2-3 minutes the wobbling goes away for the rest of the day, unless car sits for more than 3 hours. Just stopping, turn off for an hour and start again, there's no shaking/wobbling at first. The shaking is when I back up the car out of driveway.

My problem is that, when I took it to local repair shop, they diagnosed my car as having rack & pinion problems and got charged close to $900. I never had problems with steering at all. They also included alignment, although I didn't have problem with that either.

All I know is I'm out $900; but hard start is gone. What could problem have been and could it have been cheaper to fix? I think I got ripped off for a cheaper problem (oh, 5 out of 6 fuel injectors were already replaced, but car didn't shake all the time to need last injector replaced, plus fuel injector replacement would of been cheaper). Help, please!

Are engine mounts more expensive than rack & pinion repairs for this car; as in researching this it seems I might have had engine mount problems. Also 2 belts were replaced, would it just have been the belts (which repair shop said were so old that they broke while doing other work on car).

Sunday, June 29th, 2008 AT 10:32 AM

Hi Lboeche,

If the misfiring is only during cold start, you need to check the plugs and coils for misfiring.

Another thing to check is the fuel pressure.

The steering rack has nothing to do with starting problem. While doing the steering, the alignment would be affected if they had replaced the rack ends or tie-rod ends.

The mounts should be cheaper to replace.

Sunday, July 6th, 2008 AT 1:56 AM