Steering lock stuck, key won't turn, 98 Frontier

BJENSEN
  • 1998 NISSAN FRONTIER

My 98 Frontier steering wheel is stuck in the locked position, and the key will go in but won't turn. It has 170,000 km on it.

I've tried jiggling, and brute force on the wheel (as suggested by the dealer's mechanic) but that won't free it.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Barry

Tuesday, April 25th, 2006 AT 9:50 PM

D_ARNOLD

I'm having the same trouble with my 1990 240sx, I've tried everything short of taking the whole ignition piece out and replacing it if you find a way please let me know.

D_arnold

-1
Friday, July 21st, 2006 AT 6:26 PM
JSAV_CDP

Same problem. It has resolved itself so far. But it has happened 3 times. Could this be caused by the security chip in the key?
C.P.

Saturday, August 5th, 2006 AT 6:19 PM
2CARPROS KEN

This problem occurs when the ignition lock is worn out and needs to be replaced. You can get one from Amazon or the dealer.

Here is a guide on how to do it.

When disassembling and assembling, unlock steering lock with key.
Install lock nut on steering column shaft and tighten the nut to 18-25 ft. Lbs. (25-34 N.M). See Fig 1 and
Fig 2: Identifying Steering Column Lock Nut
When removing the steering lock, break self-shear type screws using a drill or other appropriate tool.
When installing the steering lock use self-shear type screws. Tighten until heads break off. See Fig 4.
After installing steering column, check tilt mechanism operation.

These bolts that hold the ignition switch you will need the chisel or drill out to remove, kind of a pain but stick with it and you can make it happen.

Here are some guides below to help.

Please let us know happens so it will help others.

Best, Ken

Please consider a donation if we helped you
Thursday, December 22nd, 2016 AT 2:56 PM