1997 NISSAN ALTIMA STUCK IN 2ND GEAR

• adlpn
  • 1997 Nissan Altima

1997 Nissan Altima 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic 300000 miles

Automatic transmission/ Car barely goes when taking off and does not shift after getting up to about 55mph. Check engine light came on and problem started after fixing stoplight switch and attempting to fix cruise control switch (do not know if it is related)

Monday, June 21st, 2010 AT 8:49 PM

• KHLow2008

Hi adlpn,

Thank you for the donation.

Symptoms indicates the transmission is locked in 3rd gear and would not up or down shift.

Get a free scan done at Autozone and let me know the exact trouble codes so we can proceed from there.

Tuesday, June 22nd, 2010 AT 1:28 PM
  • adlpn

Code P1605 A/T communications line

Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 11:43 AM
  • adlpn

Also have 1 more? Under the center console beside the gear selector there is a little box with a spring at one end then a plastic piece (guessing something to do with neutral safety) with a metal piece attached that goes into the dash area as a cable. It use to click and now does not what is this and could it be the problem/

Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 12:37 PM
  • KHLow2008

I have emailed the diagnostic procedures for P1605. Let me know if you do not receive it shortly.

The cable is for the key interlock and does not affect the trouble code. If it does not operate, you would not be able to turn the key to the LOCK position when the gear lever is in PARK position. Alternatively you would be able to turn the KEY to LOCK position without moving the shift lever to the PARK position if it is stuck in release position.

The clicking is not from this, it should be from the gear interlock system. The solenoid would only click when brake pedal is depressed with gear position in PARK.

Wednesday, June 23rd, 2010 AT 1:29 PM
  • adlpn

Thank You for the help! Turns out we were both assuming the other had checked the fuse which turned out to be the problem.

+1
Tuesday, August 3rd, 2010 AT 7:49 PM
  • KHLow2008

Thank you for the input and glad to know you have fixed the problem.

Thank you for using 2carpros and have a nice day.

Wednesday, August 4th, 2010 AT 6:57 AM
  • kckylekc

I literally have the same problem. I fixed the stop switch as well as tried working on the cruise control cut off switch. Would you mind telling me what fuse you replaced to fix the problem?

Saturday, August 15th, 2015 AT 12:22 PM