NEW Ignition Switch will not start on 1995 Chevy Silverado

DISANOSMIN
  • 1995 CHEVROLET SILVERADO
I have an ignition switch that will not kick back out of the starter position. Seldom, it takes many tries to actually engage the starter as if there was something disabling it but it will eventually crank. I have decided to purchase a new ignition switch for replacement from Auto-zone but it would not work at all. I figured that being an aftermarket piece buying one from the dealership will resolve my issue but it is the same story. Neither of the new switches work at all (with the exception of the dash lights) but my old one does. There are no apparent alterations to the cables. Any ideas?
Tuesday, March 28th, 2017 AT 12:08 PM

STEVE W.
OK, if I understand your issue, you turn the key to start, sometimes the key comes back to the run position and sometimes it doesn't correct? You say you bought a new switch. Which part? The key cylinder (pic A) or the actual ignition switch (pic B)?

If you bought part A, that part needs to be programmed into the system. Otherwise the security system will prevent the engine from starting because you have the wrong key (different from what is programmed into the system)

If you bought part B it won't change the issue either. It only moves with the ignition interlock cam to the position you want. The real issue is inside the mechanical section of the shift interlock in the column. There is a spring that moves the interlock and also lets the key rotate forward/back. It has either corroded or partially broke.

It is possible to replace it BUT it is actually much easier, faster and usually cheaper to replace the steering column itself with a used one. Then you would take your current key cylinder out (part A) and replace the one in the replacement column with it so you don't need to reprogram the security system to a different key.
+1
Friday, March 31st, 2017 AT 12:36 AM
DISANOSMIN
I greatly appreciate your response. A local mechanic replaced part A and it never gave me any trouble. The part I purchased to replace first from Auto-zone and later from the Chevy dealership was part B. Your assessment sounds correct as only the old ignition switch starts the vehicle and neither of the new ones do. The dealership advised that the 1995 model vehicle (mine) does not have the security feature, only 1996 and up. Could they be mistaken?
Friday, March 31st, 2017 AT 12:59 PM
STEVE W.
It would depend on the actual build date and options ordered if it has VATS. The easy way to tell is to look at the key. If it has a chip in it you have VATS. Also look at the dash when you first turn on the key and during the bulb test, if you see a Security light you have a VATS vehicle.
If you don't that just makes it easier to select a replacement column. Or take it to the local mechanic, he could tear the column apart and repair it as he's probably seen the issue before and knows ho to repair it. Your choice on that.
+1
Friday, March 31st, 2017 AT 2:55 PM