New brakes, rubbing noise and rattle

KMSYR
  • 2015 CHEVROLET IMPALA
Just had brakes done when I apply light pressure around 20 mph I hear a rubbing as if the rotors not true. I opened the window and hear a definite rattling noise. On my way back to shop. What could cause this improperly mounted pad?
Wednesday, March 27th, 2019 AT 12:39 PM

Welcome to 2CarPros.

My first suspect is the brake hardware wasn't installed correctly or is rubbing. Or the backing plate is bent and rubbing the rotor.

I would check those things first and let me know what you find.

Wednesday, March 27th, 2019 AT 8:37 PM
KMSYR
They checked couldn t find. The rubbing sound only appears at low speeds.
Thursday, March 28th, 2019 AT 5:29 AM
Welcome back:

If you are able to hear this from inside, is there a way you could record it and upload it for me to hear? Since this just started since the brakes were replaced, it has to be related. Also, were both front and rear brakes replaced? Were rotors also replaced?

Let me know.

Thursday, March 28th, 2019 AT 5:41 PM
KMSYR
Kind of hard to record it. It s definitely coming from the drivers side front. When I compared to other side it appears it isn t installed right or maybe wrong part because the hardware(metal bracket) that holds the pad in place has some give to it. On side of the caliper I can see through the wheel the bracket isn t contacting pad and has some spring to it when I push against it, on the passenger side it looks like the bracket is touching pad there is no play. My guess is the pads wrong size or installed wrong and is moving when I brake. Bringing it back to shop Saturday.
Thursday, March 28th, 2019 AT 6:02 PM
That doesn't sound right. Can you upload pictures? Also, does there seem to be any excessive heat from the side producing the noise after driving?

Since the one clip seems loose, I question if a slide is stuck and the outer pad isn't actuating. Thus, the pad and hardware appear loose.

Let me know. Also, I can provide directions for removal and install if it will help. You can take things apart and confirm they are together properly or what is wrong.

Let me know.

+1
Thursday, March 28th, 2019 AT 6:13 PM
KMSYR
Thanks Joe. I m not handy enough that s why I take it to shop, going back tomorrow.
Friday, March 29th, 2019 AT 5:20 AM
No problem. Let me know what they tell you. Also, after driving and parking the car, just see if you notice any heat radiating from the suspected wheel.

Take care and have a good weekend,

Friday, March 29th, 2019 AT 8:55 PM

Sponsored links