My car starts and then dies in 2 seconds

BOBBYKK
  • 2007 HONDA CIVIC

I have a 4 door 2007 Civic and last night out of no where the car wouldn't stay on anymore. It starts fine and then shuts off after two seconds regardless if I rev the gas pedal or not. Also all the lights in the cluster display are out! The headlight, windows and some electrical components in the car work but nothing on the display, it's completely dark.

The car has 150k on it and gave me problem with the battery last week as it stalled and I had to get a boost. I then took out the battery and charged it with my Motorcycle trickle charger! It worked fine till last night. So when this problem happened I first thought there might be something wrong with the battery and I replaced it today but nothing changed. It starts and then the car shut off in a couple of seconds with the cluster light being out.

I did some research online to check if there's something wrong with my alternator, fuel pump or crank sensor but none of these explain the cluster display not turning on. So my guess right now is that maybe a burned fuse or the main computer!

Any suggestions? Thanks
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2014 AT 12:02 AM

Have you checked main fuses under the hood of the vehicle?
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2014 AT 5:26 AM
BOBBYKK
Yes I just bought a Electrical continuity tester and checked all the fuses under the hood and inside the car. Everything under the hood works (main fuse too) except fuse number 15 which is Oil Level fuse. I replaced it with a new fuse and still wouldn't get any power light in my tester. Now for the fuse box inside the car only a few of the fuses worked, the rest didn't work at all. Please refer to the attached pic, these are the fuses that worked:
18, 21, 25, 28, 29, the rest didn't work.

Is this normal? Thanks
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2014 AT 6:25 PM
BOBBYKK
The car is fixed!

I checked the fuses with the key in ignition and most of the ones that weren't working before started working. The only one that didn't work was number 10 and it looked blown out when I removed it. As soon as I replaced fuse number 10 the cluster display lights came back on and I had a feeling if I start the car it would work and just as I thought the car started and stayed on this time!

Fuses from 12 to 17 are for the headlight and only powers on when the headlight is switched on.

Everything is working fine except that I have a check engine light on now. I'm thinking that's probably because of disconnecting the battery, removing the fuses and shorting the negative positive battery terminals many times.

Thank you and Merry xmas!
+1
Tuesday, December 23rd, 2014 AT 10:14 PM
Glad it's fixed. Have a good Christmas.
Wednesday, December 24th, 2014 AT 3:40 PM