MY F150 LARIAT XLT WITH A 300STRAIT 6CYL

1991 Ford F-150

randle357

September, 2, 2013 AT 8:52 PM

It will start and idle but after about 5or10seconds the CEL comes on and the charge hand drops and when I try to pull out fast it dies. But if I slowly press the gas it does fine. I have changed alot of things I replaced the TPS, MAP, o2sensor, idle air control and I put new plugs&wires

saturntech9

September, 2, 2013 AT 10:06 PM

At idle what does the voltage read at the battery?

randle357

September, 3, 2013 AT 6:22 AM

How do I check my battery. Thanks.

saturntech9

September, 3, 2013 AT 7:29 AM

With a multi meter with the engine idling you measure the voltage at the battery where the battery cables hook up. Were not tested the battery like that were see what the voltage at the battery is at idle.

saturntech9

September, 3, 2013 AT 7:30 AM

You need to make sure the battery cables are clean and tight and have the battery tested at the auto parts store.

randle357

September, 3, 2013 AT 12:06 PM

I tested the voltage at battery at idle it was 14.5 not running it is 12.6 I cleaned all cable ends before I did the test.

saturntech9

September, 3, 2013 AT 12:26 PM

Alright now at idle with the head lights on low beam and the ac on at idle what does the voltage read at the battery?Have you had the battery tested yet?

randle357

September, 3, 2013 AT 3:05 PM

Yes I went to auto zone today they said it was fine. Did I forget to add that my truck spits and sputters when I try to pass another car

saturntech9

September, 3, 2013 AT 10:31 PM

So does the battery light only come on when the rpm drop real low?What codes are you setting you said the check engine light comes on.

randle357

September, 4, 2013 AT 7:38 AM

I do not have a battery light only a gage with a hand. As far as codes I have not done a test yet.I will today. The rpm only drops a little bit. This problem started when I let a friend try to fix my starter switch I dont know if he shorted somthing out or not but be for he worked on it. It ran fine.

saturntech9

September, 4, 2013 AT 9:45 AM

Have you checked all the connections to the starter to make sure there tight with the battery unhooked of course?Also see what codes you have and check for any blown fuses.