MITSUBIS EXCESSIVE OIL USE

1980 Mitsubishi

tommygarv

April, 26, 2010 AT 8:34 PM

1990 Other Mitsubishi Models 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Manual 255000 miles

Hi, I have a 1980 Mitsubushi Express longbase van. Recently my head gasket went as it was over hearting etc. I got a new head gasket and also had the engine head cleaned up. The engine now seems to drive great and the compression has improved. Unfortunately the van is still kicking out white smoke when you rev the engine when van is started. I drove 200k over a 3hour drive due to traffic and found the van used LOADS of oil. It was leveled between to marks on the dip stick when I started and it is now half way below the lowest mark.

Does anyone know what I could do to stop the engine using this much oil? I have a long trip ahead of about 10'000k and I will end up spening hundreds on oil if it continues.

Thanks guys : )

98 Leaking/burning Oil

Uses Oil

mhpautos

April, 27, 2010 AT 2:50 AM

Hi there,

If you are using synth oil, change to a mineral based oil, also with the miles on the car, the rings may be a bis worn and with the increased compression and better top end you may be drawing oil up past the rings, a leak down test will show up any problem here.

tommygarv

April, 27, 2010 AT 5:46 PM

Thanks for the advise I will pass to my friend to have a look at. Do you think it would be an issue that can be fixed without taking the engine apart? Expensive?
Thanks again

mhpautos

April, 27, 2010 AT 8:01 PM

Hi there,

If the problem is excessive blow by and worn rings, there is no simple cheap solution, this must be repaired correctly.

tommygarv

April, 28, 2010 AT 7:16 PM

Ok so that would mean replacing rings and pistons? I have had a new head gaskit done, my friend is doing the work. Can he take it apart again and do the rings / pistons using a kit and then put it together or does the head gaskit need ot be replaced again due to engine having being opened again?

Also do you have any guidance on how to confirm if the issue is the rings etc? How is the test carried out!

Thanks for all your help, for a car novice its brilliant to have this service, cheers for all your time

mhpautos

April, 28, 2010 AT 11:32 PM

Hi there,

You will have to fit a new head gasket and you will have to ensure that all traces of gasket are off the head and block, a leak down test may be a bit beyond your capabilities as there is a few special tools needed, but you can do a wet compression test, this is where you add a small amount of oil into the cylinder and then test the compression, the oil is forced into the ring groves and help seal them up, if the comps rise the problem is lower end, if not head problems, so as your head has been done you will be looking to see increased comps for this test to show ring problems, this is a quick test but the leak down test is far more accurate and can be done by most workshops.

Crankcase Ventilation System
Engine Oil Change and Filter BMW 5 Series
Serpentine Belt Replacement Acura MDX
Spark Plug Replacement Mercedes Benz ML500
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Chevrolet
Serpentine Belt Replacement Ford Contour
Oil Change & Filter Replacement Acura TL