MITSUBIS AC STOPS WORKING AFTER RUNING FOR A

1999 Mitsubishi Montero

Mauro Madrigal

June, 18, 2010 AT 2:49 PM

Air Conditioning problem
1999 Mitsubishi Montero 6 cyl Four Wheel Drive Automatic 106000 miles

When I turn the car on the AC works great for about 2 minutes then it begins throwing hot air.
I looked at the compressor and the clutch seems to run really fast but after running for about a minute it slows down and thats when the hot air start comming out.

caradiodoc

June, 18, 2010 AT 3:21 PM

Hi Mauro Madrigal. Welcome to the forum. Dandy observation about the clutch. Sounds like it is slipping from the increased load as the high side pressure builds up. If you can tell if the pulley is remaining up to speed, that will eliminate belt slippage. Before condemning the clutch, measure the voltage across the two wires in the electrical connector. If it is significantly less than battery voltage, the next step is to determine which circuit, the feed or ground, has high resistance causing a voltage drop.

Pitted contacts in the compressor clutch relay will cause a voltage drop that could increase as they heat up. A quick test is to switch the relay with a different similar one.

Air Conditioner Recharge - Simple
Blend Door Actuator Replacement