2002 Mitsubishi Galant Changing tranny fluid

NRH_123
  • 2002 MITSUBISHI GALANT
2002 Mitsubishi Galant 4 cyl Front Wheel Drive Automatic

I noticed a little slipping in my transmission today. I checked the fluid level and the fluid is dark. Looks like it needs changing. First of all, would that cause slippage? Second of all what type of fluid does my car take? Is there a drain plug? Do I need to change the filter and if so, where is it?
Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 AT 8:14 PM

BLUELIGHTNIN6
Did you notice metallic flakes and/or burning smell from the fluid? If so than that would indicate internal failure in the tranny somewhere. If it's just dark then it's dirty and needs replaced, it may or may not be the cause of slipping. To replace it you would have to disconnect a hose from the tranny and let it drain out of it by starting engine and put in Neutral. After that, remove the drain plug from bottom of transaxle case to get the rest to drain. Use DIAMOND ATF SP III or equivalent
Wednesday, June 9th, 2010 AT 8:47 PM
NRH_123
Who carries this ATF SP III?
Friday, June 11th, 2010 AT 10:39 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Get it from a Mitsubishi dealer or can substitute with DEXRON III or Mopar ATF+4
Friday, June 11th, 2010 AT 10:45 PM
NRH_123
You're sure about the Dexron III, right? When I called Mitsubishi, the fella tried to sell me a quantity of ATF under the brand name Bully Bull Dog and said it ran $49. Interesting enough, when I pressed him, he couldn't give me the type of tranny fluid it was. I thought that sort of suspicious. So anyhow, Dexron III will do the trick?
Friday, June 11th, 2010 AT 10:58 PM
BLUELIGHTNIN6
Yep i'm certain
Friday, June 11th, 2010 AT 11:13 PM
NRH_123
Well, in that case, thank you in advance.
Saturday, June 12th, 2010 AT 6:34 AM