2000 Mitsubishi Eclipse check engine light on

ARMYGOV1
  • 2000 MITSUBISHI ECLIPSE
My car caught on fire inside 6 monts ago, just a little wiring got burn't I took it to a shop so that the car would at least run again, so they did just the basic as I asked, the only thing that does not work is the cigarrete lighter which is no big deal to me, however the check engine light stayed on and they asured me that there is nothing wrong, but I would have to pay them more if I wanted all the wiring reconnected, dont have the money for that so I disconnected the battery and plugged it back after a few minutes and took it for a 10 mile drive, the light remained off so it seemed to had reset the computer, however after turning it off and back on again the light came back on, I need it to pass inspection but it will not if the light is on how can I disable the light so that it passes the inspection? I don't have the money to throw away since I lost my job and have 2 kids to feed, and cant find the internal fuse box since I dont have the manual either, please help so that I can be street legal again. Thank you in advance and I hope that my small dollar makes a difference.
Wednesday, February 6th, 2008 AT 6:03 PM

FLEXY5
The first thing we need to do is find out what code the computer is kicking out. You should be able to take it to a local parts store and have the computer scanned to retrieve the code. Don't buy any parts yet, just get the code and post back here. We can go from there. If you have any further questions, feel free to give us a shout.
Wednesday, February 6th, 2008 AT 8:40 PM
ARMYGOV1
Ok the code is po141, ho2s 12 heater condition (heated oxygen sensor bank 1 sensor 2) probable causes 1) OS defective 2) poor connection at OS and 3) check circuit-fuse.
The prices given to me ranged from 70 bucks to 170 buck's give or take depending on the brand and also on wich one needed to be changed out of the 4 it has? So where do I go from here and if I get the part or parts is it easy for me to do it or should I have a pro do it? Thanks again for your help and your quick attention! God bless!
Wednesday, February 6th, 2008 AT 9:24 PM
FLEXY5
The code is being thrown because the heated portion of the O2 sensor isn't working. It is something relatively simple to change, but you need to make sure it is the sensor and not the wiring. Check for visible signs of damage from the fire. If you locate cylinder #1 on your engine, that is bank one. Follow the exhaust manifold down and to the catalytic converter. The second O2 sensor that you find is position two (O2 bank one position two). You should have two per side of the engine (the other side being bank two). From there you can trace the wires to inspect for damage. If you don't find any damage, suspect that the sensor is bad. The other posibility is that the computer is not sending out the voltage to heat it up, but in order to test that, you need to be a little more versed on testing electrical systems. If we need to we can go that route. Let me know what you find and if you need more help.
Friday, February 8th, 2008 AT 10:34 PM