NOISE WHEN TURNING WH

2002 Mini Cooper S

tjbuckey

September, 19, 2010 AT 10:00 PM

Noises problem
2002 Mini Cooper S 4 cyl Two Wheel Drive Manual 70000 miles

I have a clicking sound that I hear when I turn the wheel left or right. It is very noticeable when the car is going really slow but may or may not be happening at faster speeds, I can't tell. I read that it may be the bearings need greased and/or replaced? I don't know what kind of grease to get. No mini or BMW dealer here so will use a general mechanic and they have no clue.

mhpautos

September, 20, 2010 AT 8:02 AM

Hi there,

Sounds like a problem with a CV in one or both of the front drive shafts, have these checked first.

tjbuckey

September, 22, 2010 AT 11:32 AM

It was recommended to me to drive backwards in a circle to see if the noise gets worse or louder. The noise was not present at all during this test. I went in a circle in both directions and the noise was not present.

The noise happens only when turning the wheel and it sounds like it is coming directly from the steering wheel.

mhpautos

September, 23, 2010 AT 7:58 AM

I would be checking the slip shaft connection between the column & the steering rack, and the rack mounts as well, start here.

Drive Shaft Removal - All Cars
Pulling an Auto Trans? Easy Instructions
CV Drive Axle Replacement Nissan Altima
Wheel Bearing Replacement