FAILURE TO RE-START

1974 MG Midget

cchase33

May, 23, 2009 AT 3:10 PM

1974 MG Midget Two Wheel Drive Manual? Miles

The car starts and runs fine, but after shutting off it will not start again for 20-30 minutes. It cranks fine - plenty of battery juice - but will not fire until it has " rested"! I can't tell if it is an electrical problem or a gas problem - there seems to be plenty of both.

mhpautos

May, 23, 2009 AT 9:03 PM

Hi there,

Thank you for the donation.

Check spark when it won't run by first checking for voltage at the Pos side of the coil, if this is ok, remove the distributor cap and turn the engine by hand ignition off till the points open, check the gap about.012" should be ok, I will need to find the exact specs if you need them. Place the test light on the neg side of the coil and turn the engine by hand, check that the light goes on and off as the points open & close, on No 1 check that the timing is around 5 Deg BTDC when the light goes on this is static timing, if the coil is very old replace it as it may be breaking down when hot, this can be tested on an oscilloscope, as for the fuel system, make sure that the carby has adequate fuel supply, check these basics first.

Crankshaft Position Sensor Replace Chevrolet
Crank Angle Sensor Replacement Mercedes Benz
Fuel Pump Replacement Done Right
Fuel Pump Pressure Test