REAR DRIVER WHEEL LOCKED.

Mercury Sable

Bear300t

November, 16, 2006 AT 10:56 AM

My daughter just called me and she has a 90s sable. It is front wheel drive. The drivers side rear wheel is locked up, the other side spins. I had her check the emergency brake, it was ok. The only thing I can think of is the brake is possibly locked up. She lives 2 hrs away and I have my baby home sick so I cannot even go up there right now. Nobody there is very knowledgable about vehicles and I cannot get there to check it out. Any suggestions?

Wheel Assembly

Left Wheel Drags

merlin2021

March, 8, 2007 AT 4:24 PM

Well I need to know if it's rear disc or drum brakes?
Rear disc brakes. If you open the bleeder screw, you might be able to free the wheel, then close the screw and put a new hose on it and bleed it. To bleed it make sure while this work is done the master cylinder does not run out of fluid. Then open the bleeder screw till fluid comes out. If opening the bleeder does not free the wheel then caliper is frozen and must be changed. If it's drum brakes you need to back off the adjuster til the wheel spins free.
I don't know where in this country you could be that no one can tell her this? Brakes are the number 1 saftey device on a car. If an unqualified person does this work. It could be dissasterous.

Replace Tie Rod End
Upper Control Arm Replacement