2002 Mercury Sable Low Idle Misfire Condition

CARMANMT
  • 2002 MERCURY SABLE
Hi, I have an -02 Sable with 3.0 DOHC engine and it has a low idle misfire. I found the PCV valvue was sticking and the L rubber boot that connects it to the air intake was sucked in so those I fixed but the proble persists. I ran the codes and it has the following P0113, P0301, P0316 and P0102.

The car accelerates without a problem and runs good at high speed, just at idle it has miss that comes and goes, sometimes the engige feels like a stall.

Any help would be appreciated.

Tuesday, October 13th, 2009 AT 6:59 PM

MATHIASO
Hello!Carmanmt

P0301 says that the cylinder #1 is misfiring.
What need to be check is first of all the condition of the spark plug in that cylinder. Just describe me how it look like when you remove it.
Make sure any clamp athe manifold is tight enough and not loose.
Make sure the injector on that cylinder is not dirty, have the injectors clean at walmart.
Make sure the spark plug boot on #1 cylinder is not broken inside.

P0113, this code is about the intake air temperature,
the connector may be bad or the sensor is bad. It is located just after the air filter and it is squeezed in the big rubber boot from the air filter to the intake.

P0102
the MAF may be faulty or Check for loose tube clamps near the MAF sensor

P0316 this last code is a combination of all the code above.
Ask if you have questions.
Thursday, October 15th, 2009 AT 7:28 PM
CARMANMT
Mathiaso,

thanks for the reply. I will run those down and get back to you.
Thursday, October 15th, 2009 AT 9:17 PM
CARMANMT
Ok, I pulled plugs 1, 2 and 3 and they didn't look real bad, just a little build cleaned and put them back, checked for vacun leaks in hoses and manifold. Checked all the wires with ohm meter and for arching and they were fine, not that old. The removed the coild pack and found multiple cracks in the sides and bottom insulator, replaced that and it seems to be running fine now. Not sure if that was the only problem, no check engine light or eratic idle probles for now.

One question, do you guys know where the air intake tempature sensor is located or looks like on this engine, its not in the air intake boot, only thing in that arera is the MAF sensor.
Monday, October 19th, 2009 AT 7:09 PM
MATHIASO
Congratulation! You 're hire.
I'm happy the car is still running fine.
Look, the intake air temperature is located around the intake manifold I do not have picture of it for that particular model, I may ask some of my collegue if you still do not find it.
This sensor helps the PCM to determine spark timing and air/fuel ratio. Information from this sensor is added to the pressure sensor information to calculate the air mass being sent to the cylinders. The IAT is a two wire sensor. A 5-volt reference signal is sent to the sensor and the signal return is based upon the change in the measured resistance due to temperature.
Sending the chart in your email
Tuesday, October 20th, 2009 AT 4:28 PM
CARMANMT
Sounds good, when do I start.

Now that you said its two wires, think I found it. Funny looking thing on the far side top of the intake air assembly, has a big black knob on it. Will try and take a picture and post it to share with others.

Thanks. With cars today, sure we will be talking agin.
Wednesday, October 21st, 2009 AT 8:02 PM
MATHIASO
You find it, congratulation, keep me updated.
Let me know what happens.
Thursday, October 22nd, 2009 AT 2:14 PM