Hunting For Ignition Coil-On_Plug resistance specs for 2004 Mercury Sable

RAL2CP377
  • 2004 MERCURY SABLE
Hi --
I have a 2004 Mercury Sable with the V6 3.0L DOC Duratec engine. I've been having misfire problems off and on ever since I purchased it, used, in 2011. The misfires are most apparent when the engine is under load (going up a hill) or I'm trying to accelerate.

I've switched out ignition coils from time to time in the past, which often clears up the problem temporarily, but it seems to always eventually return. It does seem to be much worse in rainy weather, by the way.

I'd like to know what the resistance specs are for the primary and secondary circuits on the coils, so I can check that out on the ones I have installed, as well as on a couple cheapies (15) I ordered from Amazon. Also, I have no idea what the range of "good" readings is for those specs, if you happen to have that information.

Thanks so much for any assistance you can offer on this!

Robert.
Wednesday, August 24th, 2016 AT 12:11 PM

Best to have a mechanic fix this as it's your cheapest option, because it can be low fuel pressure, vacuum leaks, bad injectors as well as any sensor or basic engine problem. Because they are coil on plug we have no reference to give on that.
+1
Wednesday, August 24th, 2016 AT 4:03 PM
RAL2CP377
Thanks for you time in replying -- much appreciated.
Friday, August 26th, 2016 AT 3:19 PM
A lot of this stuff like the specs even in the ford manual we have is not given and must be done by a scanner. Not an auto parts one.
+1
Friday, August 26th, 2016 AT 4:04 PM
RAL2CP377
Thanks (again!).
Sunday, August 28th, 2016 AT 11:01 AM
RENEE
Please let us know how it turns out so it will help others
Tuesday, August 30th, 2016 AT 10:40 AM
RAL2CP377
My OBDII reader was saying I had two bad ignition coils, also giving a P0354 "Primary/secondary coil failure" message. I was going to replace the two indicated bad coils, instead bought a set of six at Amazon for $38.50 (yes, that's right, a complete set of SIX ignition coils for $38.50!). Of course I was initially skeptical, but.... 176 reviews of the coils, 150 of the reviews gave them 5 stars. I know most "experts" would say don't do it, but it's difficult to ignore those numbers. They're sold by "ENA" -- a company I've never heard of. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002PGRJN8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I installed three new coils (the three that are easy to access without removing the intake manifold, and so far the car is running absolutely fantastically well. I'll try to remember to give an update here in six months, a year (etc??) to report on how they hold up as time goes on.

Wednesday, August 31st, 2016 AT 10:58 PM
KEN
That sounds great! Nice work on the fix, please let us know if they last thanks for using 2CarPros we are here to help

Best, Ken
Thursday, September 1st, 2016 AT 7:59 AM